PDA

View Full Version : A question on Finishes ?

wlleven
11-17-2013, 11:24 AM
I have a used Mod 11 that is blues with a silver bolt. I wish to have it in a matte finish or some kind of coating that looks good.

What refinishes have you guys used to make your action or barreled action look great.

I don't just want a paint job because they don't last.

Thanks,

wll

seanhagerty
11-17-2013, 11:53 AM
I have been using duracoat for a couple years. You should look it over and give it a shot. I like the fact that its so simple to use: Prep/degrease the rifle, spray the duracoat on, wait until the next day & then reassemble. Ready to shoot next day, fully cured in 3-4 weeks.

I looked really hard at cerkote, folks speak pretty highly of it. From their website, I got the impression they only wanted proffesionals to apply it. Duracoats website says anyone can apply it.

stangfish
11-17-2013, 12:15 PM
I am a duracoat man myself but in my opinion it takes patience due to cure time. A friend of mine is big into Brownel's alumahyde.

missed
11-17-2013, 12:49 PM
I am going to give the duracoat a shot myself. I really want a good camo job on both the rifles but just haven't had the time.

sortafast
11-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Cerakote is far and way better than duracoat when its applied correctly. I have don't some durakoting, but you really have to get it right and know what you're doing with it to get it to come out good. But when its done right, its hard as nails and wear very well. I have a gun that was duracoated and I am far from impressed with the finish.

missed
11-17-2013, 06:56 PM
wow, after looking at the differences between cerakote and duracoat. I think im going the Cerakote route. Yeah it is more money on material but if you do it right it should be on there forever.

JCalhoun
11-18-2013, 06:24 PM
GCS does my Ceracoat and Duracoat for me.

Google Gulf Coast Shooting.

BillPa
11-18-2013, 08:27 PM
wow, after looking at the differences between cerakote and duracoat. I think im going the Cerakote route. Yeah it is more money on material but if you do it right it should be on there forever.

If the DC is put on right forget paint strippers to remove it, you'll need to sand paper. I've tried!!! Even TM bore cleaner that eats the coating on coated rods didn't phase it.
http://i33.tinypic.com/3029aqh.jpg

That's a Mod 7 I did about 5 years ago. I shot all the metal parts except the bolt body with matte black with the max amount of hardener to give it a slight sheen. Today the stock has a few battle scars but the DC looks the same as the day he picked it up.

Oh, this is what I started with.
http://i37.tinypic.com/210x7no.jpg

Bill

wlleven
11-20-2013, 12:32 AM
I have a used Mod 11 that is blues with a silver bolt. I wish to have it in a matte finish or some kind of coating that looks good.

What refinishes have you guys used to make your action or barreled action look great.

I don't just want a paint job because they don't last.

Thanks,

wll

Well I have decided that I will bead blast the receiver/bolt and then blue it my self with cold blue ... it should be a matte type finish.

There is a guy just down the city that does bead blasting and has done gun stuff before, so that is what I'll do.

... it should look good with the stainless barrel and matte scope and matte rings. the stock will be black !

wll

CharlieNC
11-20-2013, 09:15 AM
You can always cold blue the bolt; cheap, easy, and can reapply as necessary.