PDA

View Full Version : He's Right in your Face!

Salvo
11-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Sometimes when you call a bobcat or coyote, you won't see them until they are quite close. I have discovered a way to shoot at these close ranges with confidence.

If you have a BDC reticule on your scope and are zeroed in at 100 yards, then the first bubble down will cover 150 yards - and ten yards.

It covers 150 yards because of bullet drop.

It covers ten yards because of the height of the scope above the barrel.

Using the first bubble down, I can hit a bottle cap at 20-30 feet with confidence with my gun that is zeroed in at 100 yards.

A mil-dot scope offers the same option. - You just have to practice a bit and you'll be ready for that varmint that shows up practically in your lap.

RP12
11-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Nice tip, thanks.

missed
11-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Nice I'll have to try it on the next trip to the range

LoneWolf
11-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Just pay attention to your magnification because it will change your POA for this practice. We use this same style of shooting with the 4x ACOG on our weapons in the Corps.

sharpshooter
11-17-2013, 04:01 PM
That doesn't work too good at 15 feet.....the coyote ain't nothing but a big blur in the scope! After I had this happen twice, I installed a Bushnell Fastfire off to the side. Just roll the rifle left and you're looking at a 2 m.o.a. dot. Good thing about the dot, you can keep both eyes open for better follow through. I have had to use this several times, and must say it is very handy.

Silvercrow1
11-17-2013, 09:57 PM
GOOD info. and thanks! Brian

missed
11-17-2013, 10:30 PM
That doesn't work too good at 15 feet.....the coyote ain't nothing but a big blur in the scope! After I had this happen twice, I installed a Bushnell Fastfire off to the side. Just roll the rifle left and you're looking at a 2 m.o.a. dot. Good thing about the dot, you can keep both eyes open for better follow through. I have had to use this several times, and must say it is very handy.

I have been wanting to do this to my rifles, varmints including pigs this would be mighty handy

mnhntr
11-18-2013, 12:46 AM
I always carry my shotgun for close range encounters

Salvo
11-18-2013, 09:55 PM
I keep my variable scope at its lowest power setting in the field, and at its highest setting at the range.