PDA

View Full Version : New Barrel for Tactical, Varmint or Bull, length?

justeric
11-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Below is a list of some of the drop in barrels for Savage guns. I know that I have to check the Shank size but other than that, I'm confused by all the options.

The gun will be used in tactical matches shooting at close to MOA target sizes out to 1000 yards.

Contours. Should I go with a Varmint or Bull Barrel for Tactical shooting matches. The gun will need to be held in awkward shooting positions but I'm not going to be carrying it like a hunter. I think fitting the barrel to a stock might be a concern with the barrel contour.

Length. It appears the standard lengths are 26" and 28". Is there any conventional wisdom on what is better for a Tactical gun?

I still trying to figure out if I want the 6.5 x47 or the 6.5 Creedmore. I would like to go with a 260 but I don't think I can use the long, high BC bullets when feeding through a magazine. I think the Creedmore has a lower pressure cartridge and more case so I'm thinking that is the way I'm going.

Anyone like Criterion over Shilen or vis-versa.

Please let me know which Contour and Length you think will serve me best.

Thanks,
Eric

Criterion – Savage Barrels

26″ – Stainless Match – Small Shank – Varmint – 6.5X47 Lapua – 8 Twist –
28″ – Stainless Match – Small Shank – Bull – 6.5×47 Lapua – 8 Twist –
28″ – Stainless Match – Large Shank – Bull – 6.5X47 Lapua – 8 Twist –

26″ – Stainless Match – Small Shank – Varmint – 6.5 Creedmoor – 8 Twist – $
28″ – Stainless Match – Small Shank – Bull – 6.5 Creedmoor – 8 Twist –

26″ – Stainless Match – Small Shank – Varmint – 260 Rem. – 8 Twist –
28″ – Stainless Match – Small Shank – Bull – 260 Rem – 8 Twist –
28″ – Stainless Match – Large Shank – Bull – 260 Rem – 8 Twist –
30″ – Stainless Match – Large Shank – Bull – 260 Rem – 8 Twist –

26″ – Stainless Match – Small Shank – Varmint – 260 AI – 8 Twist –
30″ – Stainless Match – Large Shank – Bull – 260 AI – 8 Twist –

Shilen – Savage Barrels

26″ – Stainless Select Match – Small Shank – Varmint – 6.5X47 Lapua – 8 Twist –

26″ – Stainless Select Match – Small Shank – Varmint – 6.5 Creedmoor – 8 Twist –
28″ – Stainless Select Match – Small Shank – Bull – 6.5 Creedmoor – 8 Twist –

26″ – Stainless Match – Small Shank – Varmint – 260 Rem – 8 Twist –
26″ – Stainless Select Match – Small Shank – Varmint – 260 Rem – 8 Twist –
28″ – Stainless Match – Small Shank – Bull – 260 AI – 8 Twist –
30″ – Stainless Select Match – Large Shank – Bull – 260 AI – 8 Twist –

missed
11-16-2013, 02:00 PM
I have seen a lot of 20" barrels at the tactical matches. I would run a 20" 260AI varmint contour. The tactical matches I have gone to there is a bunch of moving and shooting on top of your head and having something that you can easily maneuver.

missed
11-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Which action do you have? More than likely your a small shank?

ammowaster
11-16-2013, 06:21 PM
When I look at the equipment list for the bigger matches I rarely see short barrels on there. Pick a 26-28" varmint contour barrel in the caliber of your choice and rock it. The 260 will work fine as will 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5x47 Lapua. I would probably go creedmoor just because the brass seems to be a lot easier to find and not very expensive.

Bike Effects
11-16-2013, 09:46 PM
When I look at the equipment list for the bigger matches I rarely see short barrels on there. Pick a 26-28" varmint contour barrel in the caliber of your choice and rock it. The 260 will work fine as will 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5x47 Lapua. I would probably go creedmoor just because the brass seems to be a lot easier to find and not very expensive.

Only Hornady makes brass for the Creedmore. Known to have soft brass in the primer pocket area. The 6.5X47 brass is made by Lapua. Big difference there.

chukarmandoo
11-16-2013, 10:36 PM
justeric go to snipers hide and look in the bolt action rifle forum "what the pros use". I'm running a 260 only because I've got so much 6.5 loading stuff. I wanted something in a 6mm. I probably will never get there because by the time I shootout this barrel I'll be to old to play the game. Something in a 6 is best for the tactical precision games. Most targets are less than 600. A good bullet and speed and recoil management rules. Oh, and a 1/2" gun. All the rest is on the shooter. I got so carried away I forgot to say truck axle at least 24". Mine's 26+ the brake.

devildogandboy
11-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Only Hornady makes brass for the Creedmore. Known to have soft brass in the primer pocket area. The 6.5X47 brass is made by Lapua. Big difference there.

Nosler makes 6.5 creedmoor brass also but it is considerably pricier. I have been getting around 7-8 loads on my Hornady brass so far and haven't had any problems with the primer pockets opening up. maybe there was some bad brass out there.

Onewolf
11-22-2013, 08:15 AM
My field/precision match rifle has a Rem 260 McGowen 24", Shilen #7LV profile barrel. My first rifle was a Savage LRP 260 and that rifle shot great but was not well balanced for all the offhand/unsupported shots taken in the field matches. We shoot out to about 1100 yards in our local club matches.

markb317
12-01-2013, 04:27 PM
I have two rifles that are 28" Bull barrels with brakes on them.One is in 6.5X284 the other in .243 both 1-8" twist. The 243 is a laser, hitting 8" circle at 600yds in matches first shot ever time out. When I rebarrel it will be in a varmit contour with a brake in 26" or 28" the extra barrel lenght will be better for velocity and won't hurt much for unsupported shots, most shots are supported some way.Any of these chamberings will work well. You might want to also think about doing something in 6mm, there is the .243, 6XC and 6X47 that shoot very good with 105gn and heavier bullets when shot thru a 1-8" twist or faster. Plus have less recoil than the 6.5 guns.

darkker
12-07-2013, 12:37 AM
"Nosler makes brass" meaning Norma is building Creed brass. Personally I think WAY to many get wrapped-up in barrel length arguments for no reason. Just did a write-up/report on shooters forum. Took a factory 22" Hawkeye in 308 out in Phoenix and started clanging rocks past 1K. The only "issue" with 1K shooting, is crossing trans-sonic. Not many bullets will safely do it, that said keeping a Creedmoor supersonic to 1k just isn't any kind of difficult.
Pick a barrel you can live with and shoot happy. I like heavy, shorter.

Newsshooter
03-02-2014, 08:52 PM
I shoot tactical matches, shot one today out to 1K in 15mph wind. Most have a 24-26 inch barrel so that you can get decent speed, shorter barrel equals slower bullet with the same amount of powder. I'm getting a bit over 2800 with 41.7 of H4350 in my LRP 6.5 Creedmoor. There are far more people shooting .260's, and using a magazine. Most are also shooting 139 scenars, 140Amax aren't that poplular. I've had better groups with the scenar's at long distance, though under 800 the amax are great. There's also a few 6mm's, 7saum, and 308's.