PDA

View Full Version : hog hunter scope base help

moooboy
11-16-2013, 10:57 AM
I just picked up a 22lr mark ii btvss and started my dros on a hog hunter and need to get bases for it. I am confused what scope bases to order, i will be mounting a simmons predator quest 4.5-18x44(30mm) on it. I just bought the 24 power predator quest scope for my mossberg MVP predator 223 and really like the optics.
Anyway what bases should i get for the Hog hunter?
thanks

wlleven
11-16-2013, 11:16 AM
I just picked up a 22lr mark ii btvss and started my dros on a hog hunter and need to get bases for it. I am confused what scope bases to order, i dont mind 2 piece and i will be mounting a simmons predator quest 4.5-18x44 on it. I just bought the 24 power predator quest scope for my mossberg MVP predator 223 and really like the optics.
Anyway what bases should i get for the Hog hunter?
thanks

I can only tell you my experiences.

I have two piece Weaver aluminum mounts on my Hog Hunters, They are #48466. Nice mounts and cheap, have Weaver 1-3 variable Classic scopes on both, they are set up the same !

On my Mod 10 FP-SR I have Ironsighter one piece mounts, low rings and they are fine with my 4x16 44mm 30mil tube scope. What is nice about the iron sighter is 1/2 of the mount is cut out over the bolt area so it is easy to access your rounds ....they make a right and a left hand version, I got them at Midway and don't remember the #

Hope this helps some.

wll

moooboy
11-16-2013, 12:02 PM
thanks for the info, can you please tell me which one? here's the link. Savage numbers are quite confusing. I hope i am as happy with these rifles as i am with my 12 bvss 22-250 and i also have a couple savage 17hmr rifles
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=ironsighter+savage

moooboy
11-16-2013, 10:26 PM
also what height ring will i need for a 44mm scope?

stangfish
11-16-2013, 11:31 PM
How far will you be shooting? Medium rings with a low mount or depending on the length of that scope you might use lows with a 20 MOA base. It will be for any 2 digit action(unless yours is the 338) i.e... 10, 11, 12, 14, 16. You have a short action round back/rear. Some base manufacturers call it the accutrigger action.

thomae
11-17-2013, 12:56 PM
also what height ring will i need for a 44mm scope?

A lot of answers depend on both you and the scope you are using. Some scopes may work well (ie - you will be able to position them to provide good eye relief with your particular cheek weld) with two-piece bases, but other scopes may need to be moved too far forward or to the rear (or are too short) for two piece mounts to work. For those situations, a one-piece rail would be appropriate.

Flat rail or canted rail? The answer to that depends on how far you will be shooting, what your projected bullet drop is, and how much adjustment there is in your scope. For most folks shooting out to about 500-600 yards, a flat base will do quite nicely.

One way to answer your own question is to measure your scope, rail (if you are using one) use the calculator in the following sticky to see what height rings you will need.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?30048-Help-in-answering-the-question-quot-What-Height-Scope-Ring-should-I-use-quot

I hope this helps.