PDA

View Full Version : Cheek rest - Savage 12 F/TR

Tempest
11-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Just picked up a used F/TR for my son. He's going to need a cheek rest.

What kind are best and people using on this rifle?

LoneWolf
11-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Depends on what you want. Could build one up with foam and wrap. Look at the Choate fixed cheek rests or go adjustable if you're willing to do some fitting or drilling into the stock for installation. Install is not hard, but if you do not want to damage the stock at all a wrap is best.

Balljoint
11-15-2013, 07:48 PM
I use the Karsten Custom Works rest, test fit for were you need it drill two 1/4 inch holes and done and done.

LoneWolf
11-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Ran a karsten on my Axis in the ProHunter stock previously :

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a510/PJ0527/DSCN3903_zpsd6c3aae2.jpg

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

moecarama
11-15-2013, 08:44 PM
This!
I use the Karsten Custom Works rest, test fit for were you need it drill two 1/4 inch holes and done and done.

big honkin jeep
11-15-2013, 09:34 PM
I tried a couple of the stock packs to bring up the comb on a rifle I had mounted a picatinny rail and a 50MM scope on. Tried the lace on and also one from Voodoo tactical with velcro straps. I didn't like either of them. Sloppy fit, slide around and just not stable in my opinion. I built one of my own similar to a karstens style from a Kydex sheet I bought online and some knobs and bolts from Ace hardware. After watching about 2 dozen videos and reading several articles on How To (wanted to get a good cross reference) I gave it a try. I took my time measured everything twice and cut and drill once. The worst part of the whole thing was the emotion of drilling holes in my stock.I was scared even though I knew some epoxy, a little sanding and paint would fix up nearly anything I could do to a factory synthetic. Man I'm glad I did it. Total cost for enough Kydex, knobs and bolts to do 3 was about $20. I really like my kydex cheek rests. Very solid and repeatable unlike the stock packs and now my eye is centered as soon as I shoulder my rifle. very stable and easy to shoot with.

stangfish
11-16-2013, 12:34 AM
Where did you get your hardware BHJ?

missed
11-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Where did you get your hardware BHJ?

I got mine from the local ace hardware they had an assortment of knobs.

I need to build one for my Choate, I don't want the saddle fit since it pushes you off center a bit more, I want just the top piece.

Tempest
11-16-2013, 03:26 PM
I like that. Thanks.

Does anyone know if the adjustable Palma butt pad will fit the F/TR stock?

Ran a karsten on my Axis in the ProHunter stock previously :

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a510/PJ0527/DSCN3903_zpsd6c3aae2.jpg

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2