PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Large Shank Barrels?

Phil3
11-14-2013, 03:37 PM
I planned to get a large shank target action for use with a 6mmBR barrel, but wondering if that is a wise move given the rarity of anyone (that I can find) that has much of an inventory of large shank barrels. Much less in 6mmBR. For that matter, I have had virtually no success in finding anyone with ANY drop-in barrels. Is that the norm nowadays or I am just looking in the wrong places? I can't even get through to Northland (phone always busy).

A friend has had zero success in finding even a large shank 223 1:9 varmint barrel. He has one on order but it is 3 - 6 months out. I wonder if it makes better sense to get a more easily available barrel blank and have a gunsmith chamber and thread it.

Phil

stangfish
11-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Northlander Shooters Supply can get them in Shilen and Criterion, 4D shows they sell them in 26 inch, but under the current "prepare for a revolution" mentality, nothing is "off the shelf". Like you mentioned, you can find blanks around fairly regular but you end up with profiling, threading and chambering cost. Check with Sin Arms as well. Our very own Apache may be able to help also.

That1guy
11-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Mcgowen Outlet

Phil3
11-14-2013, 08:55 PM
Been there. Either they do not carry the barrel I want or they are out of stock of I barrel I do want. Sigh.

- Phil

rjtfroggy
11-15-2013, 07:03 AM
http://northlandshooterssupply.com

Shows both Shilen & Criterion in stock.

JCalhoun
11-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Anything that is not extremely common will have to be a requested item. I'd imagine any will be able to make one.