PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations on a drop in barrel for 10 FCP - K, in 260, 6.5 Creedmore or 6.5 x 47

justeric
11-13-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm looking at putting my 308 barrel aside and using a 260, Creedmore or 6.5 x 47 barrel. I'm looking at using the gun to shoot in tactical matches. I think I like the 260 the best but it sounds like the heavy high BC bullets have to be pushed into the casing since they are too long. The Creedmore sounds like it's the next best choice but I hear many say they think it might be a die out as a fad. I think Hornady has brass for it but I'm used to using Lapaua. The 6.5 x 47 sounds like a good choice but it has the least case capacity and you have to really push it to get it to have close to the the same velocity as the other two.

Does anyone have experience shooting a 260 out of a 10 FCP - K, 308, 4 round detachable mag? If so, please let me know if you had to use smaller bullets with lower BC's.

Oh, back to my original question. Can you suggest where I can buy good drop in barrels for my Savage 10 FCP - K? I'm thinking I would go with a 1 in 8 twist with a 25 inch SS barrel. I would hope to shoot close to 140 grain VLD's out of the gun.

Thanks,
Eric

Onewolf
11-13-2013, 09:55 PM
I have two Savage .260 Rem rifles and I can seat bullets at 2.93" COL and still feed fine with the Savage 3 rd DBM (and SSS 9rd DBM). I shoot SMK 142s, A-Max 140s, and Scenar 139s. I would try Berger VLDs but they are still fairly hard to find (and I have a large supply of the afore-mentioned bullets).

Wildboarem
11-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Jim@ NSS is a good source for barrels. I got my .260 from him. You also have the some of the site sponsors like humpback and what not. There is also the classified section if your a paid member. If oal is an issue push the 123 class bullets. I loaded some up for fun (amax and smk) shoot flatter to a grand and negligible windage compared to the 140's in my ballistic apps. Need to shoot them head to head to see for sure, but always an option if your worried about seating depth.

chukarmandoo
11-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Eric, just load up some 308's and sign up for a match. You usually have to sign up months in advance, but just do it. Then you'll have a better idea of what you need or want. You'll have a good time. It's a mind game that involves precision. I could tell you how I would get setup but I'm just getting into the game. I love it! Or you could go as a spectator and tag along with a squad or just go to a square shoot. Take some binos and a chair and watch and save some coin.

LoneWolf
11-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Everytime I go out to the range or shoot in a competition I learn something and find a weak point in my gear or what I'm doing. I correct that weak point and I usually find another on the next trip. I try to run dry fire drills to get a feel for my equipment, but sometimes when you add recoil into to the picture it throws your game plan off a bit.

What I'm trying to get at is.... Just get out and shoot! If you're just getting into it play with your rig and spend money shooting it more. Then when you switch to the new caliber it should improve your game if you've been practicing good habits!

I intend to run my 308 rig till the barrel dies. Then I will make the decision on where to go next. Possibly 260 maybe 7-08. Only time will tell! I usually like to try to run something different than everyone else. That's why I run an Axis!

6x47L Shooter
11-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Go with the 6.5x47 Lapua and never look back! Best case by far for high pressure loading. Way more than enough capacity for any type of shooting, unless you're being attacked by elephants! McGowen made my 26" bull barrel and it's .25 MOA with ME shooting! It's that good!

Idahojoe
11-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Love my 260's, one HB and a Ackley lite for all the hunting needs. Best to you.