PDA

View Full Version : HSM Factory Ammo Question

Silvercrow1
11-13-2013, 10:03 AM
When I purchased my Hog Hunter from Cabelas last week, I bought some factory rounds, including a box of 168 gn. Sierra BTHP in .308 from HSM. Box was marked s such and also said "Range". They shot well and I noted that they use LC brass; headstamped 03 , 06 and 07. I de-capped last evening and did a preliminary inspection of the brass- seems good to go for reloading.

I went on their website to learn more and got somewhat confused; because of the age and mixture of LC brass I wondered if they (HSM) used once fired brass in their reloads? IF they do, I wonder why they do not state same on the box?

The website says; they have been a "major" supplier to law enforcement, security and other similar organizations inn years past. The website ALSO states they have a customer brass "buy-back" program.

Anyone know the inside scoop on this company. What I really need to know is can I be reasonably certain / safe in using their brass to re-load? I'm a newby reloader and want to start and continue with safety and proper procedure in mind at ALL times.

Thanks for any info. - Brian

thermaler
11-13-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm lookin at a box of HSM berger VLD as I write this--all the cases are stamped "FC" not "LC" and apparently there is a difference. Anyway, you may or may not have that--in any case--so to speak--check whether or not you have primer pocket crimps. The FC stuff apparently is vulnerable to quick wear due to thin-walled primer pockets; though that may or may not be the case with newer stuff.

Silvercrow1
11-13-2013, 04:26 PM
I'm lookin at a box of HSM berger VLD as I write this--all the cases are stamped "FC" not "LC" and apparently there is a difference. Anyway, you may or may not have that--in any case--so to speak--check whether or not you have primer pocket crimps. The FC stuff apparently is vulnerable to quick wear due to thin-walled primer pockets; though that may or may not be the case with newer stuff.

Hi Thermaler- The head stamp is definitely "LC", I'll check the primer pockets more closely in a little while. When de-capping and re-sizing it did not require extra effort; but I don't think you can always go by that as far as crimped primers..thanks will get back on this...Brian

earl39
11-13-2013, 06:51 PM
If it is LC brass then it is good brass. I have some that i have loaded more than 15 times and are still going strong. All i have done is trim and anneal the necks.

mazroth
11-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Im guessing its once fired brass, for 18 bucks I didn't complain.

Silvercrow1
11-14-2013, 11:38 PM
If it is LC brass then it is good brass. I have some that i have loaded more than 15 times and are still going strong. All i have done is trim and anneal the necks.

Thanks- that's what I felt too. Speaking of annealing- I need to do a lookup on that. Hoping I have the equipment and skill sets to do that; seems important to case life.

Brian

Silvercrow1
11-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Im guessing its once fired brass, for 18 bucks I didn't complain.

+1 ! I just wondered because of the stamped years of manufacture if it could have multiple re-loads on it. On close inspection it looks very healthy, albeit dirty...Brian

BillPa
11-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Speaking of annealing- I need to do a lookup on that. Hoping I have the equipment and skill sets to do that; seems important to case life.

Brian

This is a decent setup for the price. http://www.cartridgeanneal.com/

Bill