PDA

View Full Version : Fixing my Savage 116 stock

Shooter970
11-12-2013, 10:50 PM
I have a older 116 with the flimsy stock it has pillars so I'm going to bed the recoil lug. What can I do to stiffen the forearm?

sharpshooter
11-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Say your money and time and buy a good stock.

seanhagerty
11-12-2013, 11:25 PM
boyds has a drop in replacement stock, $100 makes it be sent to your door.

foxx
11-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Same here.

I put 2 steel rods in the forearm, bedded it and pillar bedded the receiver. It helped a little but not enough. When I was done I could not believe it, but the stock could still flex and contact the barrel. Even though the forearm didn't flex, the stock flexed near the recoil lug and down the sides of the action, allowing the forearm to touch the barrel further up the stock. No way to extend the rods past the lug, so it was still too weak. Ended up with a Boyds a couple weeks later. Not sorry I tried, just didn't get what I expected out of it. Lots of people told me so, too. :)

On the other hand, if you never want to use a bipod, it might be good enough for hunting.

big honkin jeep
11-12-2013, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure how stiff the stock needs to be. Is it touching while you're shooting? Or is it just one of those OCD things where when you push it by hand and it touches so it messes with your mind? I have an older 116 FLCSAK in 30-06 that has been just plain stupid accurate right out of the box for the last 17 years. It'll put a full mag of 4 rounds through the center of a quarter at 100 yards darn near every time with my handloaded ammo shooting from bags. Well I did adjust the trigger but have replaced no parts. If it were touching without applying pressure relieving the offending portion of the stock may be an option for you. there's always aftermarket if you cant get it right. Good luck

foxx
11-13-2013, 12:12 AM
As Big said, after bedding with rods, mine flexed only when I pushed the forearm fairly hard against the barrel. Would have been fine otherwise.

Shooter970
11-13-2013, 09:51 AM
It's crazy accurate like it is, it's light and fits me well so ill just epoxy a rod in there and see how it goes.