PDA

View Full Version : Re-chamber a 6mm BR

Cat 64
11-12-2013, 10:07 PM
How complicated is the process of re-chamfering my model 12 F-Class 6mm BR to a 6mm Dasher?

KRP
11-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Not that complicated...providing you have the necessary tools and skills.

Cat 64
11-12-2013, 10:39 PM
A smith would be able to do it easier corect? Is this an expensive proces and would anything else would need to be changed to the entire platform configuration? Barrel would be same size? I am just trying to find some preliminary thoughts since I am in the process of getting a model 12 6 mm BR which I perhaps later can adapt to a Dasher.

KRP
11-12-2013, 11:31 PM
A smith would be able to do it easier corect?
Someone with the correct tools would be able to do it easier, smith or not.

Is this an expensive proces and would anything else would need to be changed to the entire platform configuration?

Expensive is a relative term, nothing else needs to be changed.

Barrel would be same size??.

I'd take a bit off the breech end so I could clean up the neck and throat if I was doing it, which would make it slightly shorter.

multitoes
11-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Another way you could go is to just order a match barrel and install it yourself ; this is not difficult if you have the tools.
Then you would save smith costs to use for the barrel purchase.

Also then you could still use your BR barrel for practice etc. if you wanted -- just swap it back on.

sharpshooter
11-14-2013, 01:54 AM
Why on earth would you want to re-chamber a gun you don't even have yet? I would shoot it as a 6 BR till I got bored with it and mastered it, before I would re-chamber to a Dasher. Funny thing about Dashers, they are a b!tch to tune, but once you find it, they will stay in tune. Not something I recommend for a beginner.

Cat 64
11-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Sharpshooter....thank you for your frankness...I am not planning on rechambering anything for quite some time, and not before I mastered to the best of my ability all the aspects with this particular clambering. However, this is how I learn and I am always doing excessive research being proactive and staying ahead. I was looking at competition shooting and found out the Dasher is a bit more performant than the BR...then I was just curious for the research sake to learn how difficult and how costly would be some time in the future to adapt what I already have to a different chambering. Hope this day treats you well. Kat