PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Free floating barrel

Eastman
11-12-2013, 04:08 PM
I have a Mark11 TR that isn't free-floated enough for me. can I improve it without working on the stock?
Thanks,
Eastman.

bootsmcguire
11-12-2013, 07:19 PM
No matter how you do it, its going to be a form of stock work. The two methods that come to mind are either 1) remove material from the stock in the barrel channel, or 2) epoxy bed the action and make spacers by wrapping electrical tape around the barrel in two places to keep it centered in the channel and also holding the barreled action higher, hence giving you more space between the barrel and stock.

Maybe someone else has a different effective method that I am unaware of and will hopefully chime in.

stangfish
11-12-2013, 07:28 PM
If I may ask a question, What does it mean to not be free floated enough. I was under the impression that it was or it wasn't. Like a toggle switch. On or Off. Nobody told me we have a dimmer switch.

shanejohnson2002
11-13-2013, 09:14 AM
As long as you can fit a piece of paper / dollar bill under the barrel, and slide it all the way back to the action face, it's free floated "enough".

IF you want more than that, what I do is pretty easy: buy a 1" wooden dowel, wrap coarse sandpaper around it, and go to town on the barrel channel.

Eastman
11-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Lots of good advice as always, thanks. I know about sanding the stock, but trying to avoid that if possible. Not planning any bedding jobs yet either. I can get a dollar bill back to the action, but there are tight spots, which can get tighter with wooden stocks in certain conditions. I wondered if there was any way to use some kind of spacers where the screws are? Something along those lines?
eastman

shanejohnson2002
11-13-2013, 09:32 AM
I've never heard of anyone using spacers like you're talking about, but it's worth a shot. I would suggest trying to stack some washers that are the same diameter as the action studs.

Silvercrow1
11-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Hey Eastman- I have a MKII classic in an OEM wooden thumbhole stock. BEAUTIFUL to look at AND to shoot. FWIW my barrel "free float" is just like yours; dollar bill slides all the way but tight at places. It consistently shoots groups in the mid .3's @ 50 yards and although Savage guns have made me a "tinkerer", in this case I'm leaving well enough alone. IF the gun didn't shoot as well, I would not hesitate to bed / pillar bed, etc.

How is the gun shooting for you? Just be careful of "messing with perfection"....Best Wishes Brian

stangfish
11-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Just be careful of "messing with perfection"....

+1.

Eastman
11-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Hi Brian,
I hear you! I'm still thinking about it. It shoots good, but I'm told with wooden stocks, it can tighten up in damp weather? Then you get the change in POI.
Silvercrow1, Yes thats what I'm thinking about....small washers of some kind! Anyone done this?
eastman

rjtfroggy
11-13-2013, 10:41 AM
If you use washers under the action the screws will end up being too short and will need to be replaced. The easiest fix is to mark where it rubs then sand it out a little at the rub marks.

Eastman
11-13-2013, 01:01 PM
If you use washers under the action the screws will end up being too short and will need to be replaced. The easiest fix is to mark where it rubs then sand it out a little at the rub marks.

Hi froggy,
I'm only thinking of the thinnest washers, and would still expect to have enough screw left! Maybe even a small piece of pop tin or something? My rifle has the tacticool stock which is finished in a black coating. I would really like to leave this untouched if possible.
Many thanks Eastman.

shanejohnson2002
11-13-2013, 01:18 PM
New screws are cheap enough, should you need to buy longer ones.