PDA

View Full Version : 338 lapua case problem

P SKI
11-11-2013, 10:44 PM
I have been having problem with stuck cases in my 338 Lapua 110 BA my reloads are at min charge with retumbo has anybody else heard of this problem?

sparky123321
11-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Several of us have had the same problem. I'm guessing that you're not using Lapua brass and you're probably using Hornady brass. If that's the case, just switch to Lapua brass and the problem will go away. The Hornady brass is just way too soft for the .338 Lapua.

Ackevor
11-11-2013, 10:54 PM
I dont have a 338 but there are some things to start with. But I also have a question, is your bolt stiff and hard to upturn?

1. Ensure the area where your locking lug is clean. I had a round that didnt get crimped enough go back into the casing and allowed some powder to come out while I was testing some modifications on my magazine. The powder that got out sat in the area of the lugs and made it real stiff to open after firing ( pretty much guessed already that I didnt get all the powder out).

2. Even if your on the low end of the charge for powder there are other ways of creating higher pressures. Your seating depth plays a big part of it. The farther you seat the bullet into the case, the less volume in the case, therefor you get increased pressure. Additionally you can seat it real far into the lands and create pressure issues. It would be my guess that being on the low end of the charge it may no be the issue but its an idea.

3. Crimping. if the round is crimped so tight you cant get it out with a kinetic bullet puller its likely crimped to hard and will greatly increase pressure.

Do the rounds chamber and unchamber easily without firing? (ensure it is on half safe and pointed in a safe direction please).

brtelec
11-12-2013, 12:29 AM
I have been using nothing but Hornady brass with no problems at all. I agree that the Hornady brass is softer than the Lapua brass but the problem is probably a combination of the softer brass and a rough chamber. My buddies 338 Long range Hunter needed the chamber to be polished and that eliminated the problem without buying another $250- worth of brass.

bodywerks
11-12-2013, 02:37 PM
It's a common problem with savages chambered in 338lm. If you're running anything but Lapua then switch. But it won't guarantee success. From personal experience, the only way I got rid of sticky bolt issues and poor accuracy from my 338 savage was by getting rid of it and having a custom rifle built.

P SKI
11-12-2013, 10:05 PM
I have been having problem with stuck cases in my 338 Lapua 110 BA my reloads are at min charge with retumbo has anybody else heard of this problem?
I am using lapua brass and the 300 gr sierra is 3600ths off the lands the case necks are black with powder residue. I full length resize each time and dont crimp. When I first got the gun I was using 92gn of powder and now it has progressed to only using 85 because everything else gets stuck. We are going to try factory ammo on sat. After that I am going to send the gun to savage with a letter , hopefully they fix the problem because I have a hog hunt to go to on Valentines day. ;)

bodywerks
11-13-2013, 01:22 AM
DO NOT TELL THEM YOU RUN RELOADS!
And I'm 99% sure that their test ammo is black hills 250grain Sierra match kings, and they have told others that they cannot guarantee any other ammo, period. So you might want to find some black hills ammo if you're going factory.

P SKI
11-18-2013, 11:18 PM
I also heard that about the blackhills ammo .Last sat I shot some Lellier and Bellot match ammo , the recoil was fine, bolt lift and case extraction was perfect. Then I shot a handload that was 5gr under min load (because thats all that works) and the case got stuck. I took the scope off and took it back the dealer I got it from and told them to send it back, I sent a letter with the rifle.I hope savage treats me well and figures out the problem. One of the dealers has the same rifles and shoots retumbo, lapua brass, and a 300gr bullet just like I do. The only difference, his does not stick cases. So wish me the best . I will keep you posted bodywerks. over and out semper fi

oneissuevoter
12-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Will Raug .338 brass be ok?

oneissuevoter
12-20-2013, 03:32 PM
I just bought 250 cases of it. I'm starting with some 200gr Sjsp spires over 98grains of H1000. I will be loading 300 grain SMK next. We shall see.

coance
12-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Had the same problem with mine. Emailed savage a few times and then they quit contacting me. Said they would have someone get back with me about sending it back and that was 2 months ago. Felt I was getting the run around and not recieving anything near good customer service. Since then I had my gunsmith polish the chamber. Now it will shoot everything I put in it. No more stuck bolt. I have run it up and past listed max loads with no problems with Lapua and Sellior&Belliot ( spelling? )brass. I run H1000 and retumbo without issue in either brass.

P SKI
12-30-2013, 05:34 PM
I just got my savage 110BA back from savage. They checked headspace and polished the chamber.Savage test fired it and sent back the 5 spent Hornady cases. I shot 3 rounds of retumbo at 89.5 grs with a 300gr sierra MK and all was good so far. The whole turnaround took about 1 month, but I sent it back through the dealer with a stuck case in it. I hope the problem is fixed, I will start working up some hotter loads and keep you all posted. Semper Fi over and out. ;)

jfd9000
02-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Any update? I was leaning pretty heavily towards the 110ba in .338 but after some homework I'm having some second thoughts.