PDA

View Full Version : Target AccuTrigger Conversion Possible?

FishinFool
11-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Can one convert a model 10 small-shank short action with Standard Accutrigger to a (red blade) Target Accurrigger?

I guess other question would be how nice are the aftermarket precision triggers in pull-weight, shot-break, etc. that could be added to a donor model 10 action.

Want to start the process of buying a cheap, used Savage rifle and building up a high-accuracy 7mm-08 or .308 heavy Varmint gun for exclusively target shooting at 200-600 yds.

Thanks for any input.

Steve

82boy
11-12-2013, 11:03 AM
HI Steve,
If you use the search feature you will find out a lot of information on the question you have asked. The difference between the standard accutrigger and the target accutrigger is not in the trigger its self but in the sear. The sear is ID by a small dimple in the side under the bolt release/cocking indicator flag. Savage will not sell these parts. If you could obtain the sear and springs, yes you could convert a standard accu-trigger to a target accu-trigger.

Here is the problem if you ever played with a target accutrigger you may find that it will not function properly at low setting forcing you to crank the weight up, and you close to what a standard accutrigger will drop to. The target accutrigger can be made to function at lower weight repeatability but it takes a bit of work. With hat said the aftermarket triggers are a simple fix. Honestly it is hard to beat the feel and function of a couple of the aftermarket triggers. The SSS comp trigger can be adjusted to consistently break at 12 oz , and for the money it is the best aftermarket trigger out there. I don't know what "shot-break" is so I can not answer that.

RP12
11-12-2013, 11:08 AM
How low do you want to go with pull weight ? Rifle basix SAV-2 is the lowest advertised with around 4 to 6 oz's.