PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Old Model 58 12 G Shotgun

Model58
11-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Hello and Happy Veterans Day to all who served, and are still serving.
I've had an old Model58 since 1972 and I've never been able to track down the Date of Manufacture.
There is no serial number, only two Manufacturing Stamps on top of the barrel just forward of the breach.
They are as Follows- 11W and 21R. I would take a picture but I see I can't post pics anyway.
If anyone recognizes these markings and can help me finally figure out how old this thing is I would surely appreciate it.
It was my first hunting weapon when I was 12 years old and until recently I used it every year and took countless game with it here in NE Pa. Even after I received my Winchester Model94 at 14 I sometimes took the old 58 Deer Hunting just because.
As I said I would be grateful for any information regarding its actual age.
Thank You.

Model58
11-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Some additional info:
2 3/4" Chamber
2 rd. Magazine.
Full Choke
Left Side of Barrel- STEVENS MODEL 58-12GA
SAVAGE ARMS CORPORATION
CHICOPEE FALLS MA. USA
Right Side of Barrel- PROOF TESTED 12 GUAGE
2 3/4 INCH CHAMBER

Mad Dog
11-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Tough call, both those markings look like date codes to me but one is 1964 and one 1969.

I'm wondering if maybe one of the parts the code is stamped on was replaced at sometime in it's life. Are the two markings on different parts of the gun? EG: one on the receiver and one on the barrel?

Model58
11-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Tough call, both those markings look like date codes to me but one is 1964 and one 1969.

I'm wondering if maybe one of the parts the code is stamped on was replaced at sometime in it's life. Are the two markings on different parts of the gun? EG: one on the receiver and one on the barrel?
Hello.
As I said in the original post the two markings are stamped on top of the barrel just above the breach.
It's older than 69 since there is no serial number. I agree they do seem like date stamps but without a code list there's no way of knowing for sure. A local gunsmith estimated mid 40's to early 50's but couldn't be sure. I doubt it's older than that but no one knows at this point.
As far as replacement: As far as I know it's all original, except for the magazine which was replaced when I was about 15 due to a broken spring, and I re-finished the stock in high school shop class. It turned out better than factory and has held up well through the years. I know it wouldn't be worth as much being re-finished but I never intend to sell it anyway.

Mad Dog
11-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Ya, the local smith wasn't real close.

The model 58 wasn't even offered till the mid 50's and wasn't offered in 12 gauge till 1957.

I'd hazard a guess I was right with the 1964 date code on the barrel.

Back in 57 when it came out in 12 ga it had no recoil pad but in the 60's was fashioned with a pinkish recoil pad with what looks like small T's turned sideways in the pad, does your gun have this recoil pad?

Model58
11-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Yes it has the recoil pad you described.
And in the gunsmith's defense, he mentioned it "could" be that old because of the lack of a serial number. It was a few years ago and he wasn't familiar with the model58.
At least I know it's no older than 1957 since you say that is the year it was offered in 12 gauge so thank you for that. It's looking like I may never know exactly when the old girl was manufactured.I wish I could find a list of stamp codes used by Savage around that time. I'll keep looking. But again thank you for the input. You helped narrow it down a bit.

Model58
11-18-2013, 06:00 PM
I just broke the weapon down and found another stamp on the barrel but obscured by the stock. It's either 5P or SP, it's hard to tell at this point. Each of the three stamps is surrounded by an oval.
I don't know why, if these are date stamps, they would have 3 different stamps on one weapon. I still can't seem to find any definitive records on the stamps and codes used by Savage after they bought out the Stevens company.

Mad Dog
11-18-2013, 07:07 PM
The SP is a proof mark from Savage. "SP" (Savage Proof).

The 21R is your date code, it was inspected by a Savage inspector with a #21 inspectors badge, or if you"d like he's inspector #21, the R is the date code referring to 1964. Savage used the date codes since 1949. A was 1949, B was 1950, C was 1951, etc etc. Since Savage never used the recoil pad on their late 50's model 58's yours is obviously made in the 60's and with a date code like that it pinpoints it to 1964.

Model58
11-18-2013, 08:36 PM
In my ongoing search for information I found this article in another forum and thought it might help someone here.
It has some interesting information.
http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/firearms-reference-file-stevens-323.html
In the post the author mentions the Chicopee MA. plant was closed by Savage in 1960. If this is true it only adds to the confusion as to when my old shotgun was manufactured. But as I said it might help someone else.

Model58
11-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Hi again Mad Dog,
I have been reading several sources of information which correspond to your post that the letter is the man. date sarting with A.
I also read that both O and Q were purposely omitted for being too similar. It seems straight forward but if mine is in fact stamped as a 1964 it shouldn't be stamped STEVENS MODEL-58 12 GAUGE SAVAGE ARMS CORPORATION CHICOPEE FALLS MASS. USA according to the link I provided. If he is correct it has to be a pre 1960. Oh well, for such a simple design it's been a good, dependable weapon all these years and will be for many more. If someone wants a good starter 12 gauge that can stand a lot of use and comes across a model 58, I highly recommend getting it.

Mad Dog
11-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Very good point about the factory moving, now you got me stumped. Might have carried parts over from the old factory to the new but 4 years seems a long time to have that many spare parts laying around. Never say never I guess.