PDA

View Full Version : NEW SCOPE! And a Question About Leuopold Rings/Bases

Silvercrow1
11-11-2013, 04:43 PM
I am a blessed man- the daughters went together and got me a Cabela's gift card for Christmas, gave it to me early as they "knew" there would be sales. (They also knew the old man was an impatient sort.

So today I was looking through all the scopes, and ultimately ended up in the Bargain Cave. (BTW- I could not work at Cabelas- I'd end up owing more than I made...) Anyway there was a Nikon Buckmasters there, a "discontinued" tag on it, 6-18x40, hand turrets with two sets of turret knobs (one is wider at the top for ease in dialing) and it came with a sunshade. New in the box- well, I'm sure it had been handled but NO marks or issues, VERY clear. It has the Niko-plex recticle- I wish it had mildots like the other I just got.BUT full lifetime warranty, box, all paperwork, $223.00. It's now mine!

Trying to decide if I keep the 4.5-14 x 40 mildot Buckmasters on the .223 or put the 6-18 on it and put the 4.5-14 on the Hog Hunter. Decisions...

I was also given a set of Leuopold rings and bases- the double dovetail type, and for the life of me I cant find any numbers or markings on the rings or bases to indicate what type(s) of rifles they will fit properly. Does anyone know how to determine this? I thought I might use them on the Hog Hunter until I got money to get Burris Sig. zee's. The Hog Hunter is in the shop getting the front sight re-mounted, so I cant readily measure right now. If any of you Hog Hunter owners know the mount screw spacings on the receiver and can tell me I'd appreciate it! Impatient man that I am...I just might have to wait to get the gun back LOL!

Anyway- opinions / comments welcomed, I'm a very happy and blessed guy! Brian

davemuzz
11-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Wow!!! Can I adopt? Well….just until Christmas? Nikon makes some nice glass for the money and you really can't go wrong at the price point your spending. I can't give you any advice on which scope to put on which rifle as I think that's a matter of personal preference. But, I would hope someone would chime in with their thoughts.

As for the Leupold rings and base, are you talking about a set like these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362650303/leupold-2-piece-standard-scope-base-savage-with-rings These are Leupolds "standard" Savage two piece base rings. Fine base and rings, but I prefer a one piece base. Leupold does make a one piece base (I think) for those rings, so you may want to consider those before jumping into the Burris. The Burris won't fit the Leupold base.

Dave

big honkin jeep
11-11-2013, 05:58 PM
I don't think Leupold is currently producing a set of dual dovetail bases for a round receiver Savage. I love a dual dovetail setup and the last time I needed one I contacted Leupold customer service. I explained to them I had purchased a set of Standard bases but wanted to mount it up with their dual dovetail rings. They hooked me up by providing an extra front ring from a pair of standard bases. This gave me 2 dovetail slotted bases that fit the round receiver. Just a word of caution if you go this route You need to Take a measurement by placing the dovetail base over the mounting holes to be sure your scope will fit. It probably wont on a long action. I dont think there is any way to get em for a flatback except to find a set of new old stock and good luck with that. Good Luck

Silvercrow1
11-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Wow!!! Can I adopt? Well….just until Christmas? Nikon makes some nice glass for the money and you really can't go wrong at the price point your spending. I can't give you any advice on which scope to put on which rifle as I think that's a matter of personal preference. But, I would hope someone would chime in with their thoughts.

As for the Leupold rings and base, are you talking about a set like these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362650303/leupold-2-piece-standard-scope-base-savage-with-rings These are Leupolds "standard" Savage two piece base rings. Fine base and rings, but I prefer a one piece base. Leupold does make a one piece base (I think) for those rings, so you may want to consider those before jumping into the Burris. The Burris won't fit the Leupold base.

Dave

Hey Dave- thanks for the link! Mine look exactly like that...BUT...when I looked further the Remington 700 looks exactly like that in their pictures too. BUMMER- I guess the difference is in the spacing of the holes. I know some others here have Hog Hunters too- maybe I'll PM a couple of them and see if they's measure as close as they can, the screw spacings..

LOL- yeah, I'm fortunate- both daughters are grown and have thoughtfully thought of me, s well as thoughtfully given me grandkids. If ONLY they lived closer. But, cant have everything I guess.

Thanks again! Brian

Silvercrow1
11-11-2013, 09:15 PM
I don't think Leupold is currently producing a set of dual dovetail bases for a round receiver Savage. I love a dual dovetail setup and the last time I needed one I contacted Leupold customer service. I explained to them I had purchased a set of Standard bases but wanted to mount it up with their dual dovetail rings. They hooked me up by providing an extra front ring from a pair of standard bases. This gave me 2 dovetail slotted bases that fit the round receiver. Just a word of caution if you go this route You need to Take a measurement by placing the dovetail base over the mounting holes to be sure your scope will fit. It probably wont on a long action. I dont think there is any way to get em for a flatback except to find a set of new old stock and good luck with that. Good Luck

Hi BHJ! Yeah, as I just wrote to Dave, the Savage pics look exactly like the Rem. 700 pics! I don't know how old these are; they were given to me. Both front and rear are rounded, but until I can match 'em up to the gun OR get measurements, I wont know. Hoping they will work to save a couple of bucks...thanks for the info! Brian