PDA

View Full Version : bolt lift

nelson34
08-15-2009, 04:50 PM
what can i do to make the bolt lift easier on my rifle? its not real stiff, just not as smooth as others i have seen.

sinman
08-15-2009, 04:52 PM
the best thing to do is if you have the time to wait for it, is to send it to sharp shooter supply and have them time and true your action. Stockade also makes a bolt lift kit that will help too.

louthedog
08-15-2009, 07:12 PM
As Sinman said, a time and true does wonders. Also consider the longer SSS or Stockade bolt handle. Use a light film of grease on the backside of the bolt lugs and cocking ramp. I can cycle the bolt on my timed and trued action with just my index finger. You didn't say if this was a new rifle or not but they do get smoother with use.

tarheellin
08-15-2009, 08:49 PM
I have the opposite problem with a Win.M70 Super Shadow... I have missed getting shots on a couple of nice bucks because the bolt lifts too easy; and, was raised off seat just enough to keep it from firing... By the time I figured out the bolt was cracked up a little, the buck was gone... Two times. >:( So, the opposite of a stiff bolt, if it's a hunting rifle, is something to consider.

My rifle is in "time out" until I get a 'smith to tighten it up a little.

Lin.

sinman
08-16-2009, 08:35 AM
tarheellin you could put some light chisel marks on your bolt or receiver where the bolt rubs to make it not so smooth.

sparks1
08-16-2009, 12:32 PM
the best thing to do is if you have the time to wait for it, is to send it to sharp shooter supply and have them time and true your action. Stockade also makes a bolt lift kit that will help too.

I just got on the SSS time and true calender...They are scheduling for November. I chose Dec. so I could do the fall hunt with my rifle. Call soon and get on board, If you are going to do this.

ATLRoach
08-16-2009, 05:08 PM

I just got on the SSS time and true calender...They are scheduling for November. I chose Dec. so I could do the fall hunt with my rifle. Call soon and get on board, If you are going to do this.

Stockade is faster if you don't want to wait. Spoke to Kevin on Friday and it's a 3 day turn around.

Carvera
08-16-2009, 05:18 PM
A 3 day turnaround for a T&T job???

nelson34
08-16-2009, 06:29 PM
it is a used action not sure on the round count though. what is stockade getting for a time & true?

ATLRoach
08-17-2009, 08:56 AM
A 3 day turnaround for a T&T job???

That's what Kevin stated to me

it is a used action not sure on the round count though. what is stockade getting for a time & true?

$150

psharon97
08-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Might have to send one of my rifles off to kevin to compare his work with Fred's. That should get an honest review. Only problem is, Im more partial to Fred's work. The 308 barrel he built for me is the most accurate rifle I've laid my hands on. I'll definatly be going back to him for a 6.5x47 barrel in the near future.

pklin
03-21-2010, 12:39 AM
I seemed to remember Stockade used to list the gunsmithing work and pricing on their website, where did that page go? Thanks.