PDA

View Full Version : Semi Auto 338 Federal ??

tammons
11-10-2013, 02:56 PM
I have decided I want a Semi Auto 338 federal but not much luck finding anything.

Needs to have a 10 round magazine available.

Only way I can figure to get there is either a very expensive and heavy AR10 or have a Semi auto 308 rebored to 338 fed like a Remington 750.

Also a Browning short track BAR in 308 would be a candidate for a rebore but not sure if you can buy 10 round mags separately.

Browning makes a hog rifle with a pistol grip, which I dont care for that comes with a 10 round magazine, so maybe it is available for a normal BAR.

Are there any manufactures making a factory semi auto 338 federal ??

BillPa
11-10-2013, 04:30 PM
The way its looking no manufacturer will be chambering in the 338F soon. Regardless of one's affection for it the demand just isn't there . From what I understand Federal even quit making brass for it.

But don't worry, as long as there is a 308 you'll have brass. The 338F is the old wildcat 33-08 or 338-08 depending who called it what. Its simply the 308 necked to 338 without any other changes. Run 308W brass over a 338 expander, load and fire'm! The only drawback, if you want to call it that would be the headstamp.

I would imagine anything chambered for the 308 would be a simple conversion, a barrel. I would also think feeding from a mag wouldn't be much of an issue since the case is the same save for the neck diameter.

Bill

stangfish
11-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Have an M1a barreled for the federal.

or a FNAR

tammons
11-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Yeah I emailed Browning years ago saying they should chamber a BAR rifle in 338 federal.
They do make a BAR in 338 WM.

I reamed a free Savage midwayusa barrel from 338fed to 338-284 and run that on a short action.

The best way I have found to neck up is with a K+M Expandiron. For 284, I do a 2 step, first to 308 then to 338.
I did some test forming of a 308 brass just to check it out.

I also have a 338-06 barrel - LOL, but I need another 338.

Remington used to make a 35 whelen 750, but no longer made. That would be a good semi auto whacker, but I have become partial to the 338 160 gr TTSX.

DPMS AR10s are $1500 and since I like to work on my own guns that's probably the way to go Although about $500 more than I really want to spend. The DPMS Panther weighs 8# so not bad for weight.

I can have a 750 series Remington bored out for about $250-$350, triggers are available and 10 round mags too.

The way its looking no manufacturer will be chambering in the 338F soon. Regardless of one's affection for it the demand just isn't there . From what I understand Federal even quit making brass for it.

But don't worry, as long as there is a 308 you'll have brass. The 338F is the old wildcat 33-08 or 338-08 depending who called it what. Its simply the 308 necked to 338 without any other changes. Run 308W brass over a 338 expander, load and fire'm! The only drawback, if you want to call it that would be the headstamp.

I would imagine anything chambered for the 308 would be a simple conversion, a barrel. I would also think feeding from a mag wouldn't be much of an issue since the case is the same save for the neck diameter.

Bill

big honkin jeep
11-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Here ya go. Ready to rock http://www.dpmsinc.com/LITE-HUNTER_ep_154-1.html I don't have the rifle I linked to above but I do have an LR308 with the 24" stainless bull barrel. I dropped in a Chip McCormick trigger, equipped it with a JP brake and run it on P mags.Topped it with a Vortex 6-24x50. Very accurate and probably my favorite non Savage range toy. Easy enough to pick most any R-25 pattern rifle and swap in a custom barrel in the short action caliber of your choosing. I'm unsure of the specific differences in the two cartridges so You may or may not have to also use a different buffer spring as well.

yorketransport
11-17-2013, 11:20 PM
What about rebarreling a Remington R25? I don't know what it takes to rebarrel an AR style rifle, but I bet you could get a used R25 for a decent price.

I've been thinking of a Winchester 100 in 338 federal. Not sure that I'll ever get around to it though.

Andrew

stangfish
11-17-2013, 11:30 PM
What about rebarreling a Remington R25? I don't know what it takes to rebarrel an AR style rifle, but I bet you could get a used R25 for a decent price

Only way I can figure to get there is either a very expensive and heavy AR10 or

Rebarreling is easy for the enduser but expensive to aquire. The have to be headspaced with a barrel adaptor and the gas hole has to be timed. No big deal for a AR smith but pricey. Sometimes you can only buy the whole upper.

http://www.usarmsinc.com/barrel-assemblies/338-federal/338-lite-barrel-assembly

http://www.parts4ar15.com/ar-15_accessories/category/338_Lite_Barrel_Assembly.html

http://www.jsesurplus.com/dpms338federallitebarrelassemblycomplete.aspx

tammons
11-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Its cheaper to pay $1500 for the 8# dpms 338 fed.

big honkin jeep
11-18-2013, 02:51 AM
Didn't see one chambered in .338FED there but the DPMS lite hunters on GB are running about $1100 to just shy of $1300. I bet if your dealer can find one from a distributor as long as you're not drooling you can probably get it a little cheaper than MSRP. I'm not sure if you are familiar with hunting with AR style rifles but there are a couple of things I don't like about them as hunting rigs, Round front handguards don't prop up well on objects in the field. Protruding magwells and pistol style grips seem to be always in the way. The fact that ARs have no drop on the comb of the stock combined with the magwells and grip make for a very tall profile. Especially aggravating from a shoot house. Make darn sure if you have a collapsible stock that the release cant be inadvertently depressed by a rear range bag or anything else for that matter. (Saw a guy get a Leupold tattoo over the eye from a .450 Bushmaster like that)

tammons
11-18-2013, 01:31 PM
They make a DPMS 338 fed lite hunter, listed at $1500.