PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Problems ejecting caseings in model 99

wildcat hunter
11-09-2013, 01:55 PM
I just bought a 99 in .308, only paid $400.00 so I thought it was a good buy. So today I shot some military stuff out of it ( all I had ) and came across a few problems. The caseings were stuck in the chamber, I had to use a cleaning rod to bump them out. A few times if I levered it hard they would come out and once the bolt opened but the caseing stayed in the chamber. The other problem is when I levered the gun the rotary clip allowed some of the shells to come up and out.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys

bczrx
11-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Others will chime in soon. My guess is the cartridge cutoff spring isn't working: this allows rotory mag to overfeed. Again a guess.

You said you had probs with military stuff. Have you ever fired it with other loads? If not, you had problems extracting-period. What brand of mil? Steel or brass cased? Does the extractor tip have a broken hook? (Damaged extractor: replace) Does the shell start to pull out, but then extractor pops off shell? (Probably spring issue on extractor: if there is a spring) Does extractor rip the rim off shell? (either brass/steel case issue, shell coating issue, rough chamber issue or oversized chamber?)

More info please. 99f? 99eg? 99c? Etc.?

wildcat hunter
11-11-2013, 11:41 AM
OK; I guess nobody had this problem before. Its ok, I talked to my dad and he said military brass did that - why?, he didn't know. I went out and got a box of Hornady 150's and not a one stuck! I still have the shells in the magazine want to get out in a hurry but I can live with that.

wildcat hunter
11-11-2013, 11:47 AM
bczrx, I didn't see your post - thanks. I'll look into the "cut off spring" and see what I come up with. I don't know why the military stuff stuck but the brass in "shiney" on the taper ( shoulder) of each fired brass. ???
Thanks again

bczrx
11-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Cartridge cutoff not working could allow shells to be 'coming up/feeding' before extraction, causing who knows what shell interference when using the lever. Numrich gun parts have a lot of parts.

Is your 99 a tang-mounted safety or is the safety near the lever/trigger?

If chamber is too large it may allow fired brass to expand too much, making action stiff. Steel casing expand differently.

Comparing extraction issues from firing rounds to unfired rounds cycled through isn't a precise comparison. You have to fire both. Did you?

bczrx
11-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Again, others know more than I. If you have fired both brass types and only military does that, stay away from it. I know a guy with a BLR who couldn't fire reloads, as his gun had a tight chamber: they wouldn't chamber well, and wouldn't extract either. Mil spec chambers are a little looser (I think), so brass might be different. Maybe.

If you haven't fired other brass, do so and report back on the extraction of that brass.

bczrx
11-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Oh, did you use a .308 chamber brush on the chamber, in case it is a bit rough?

wildcat hunter
11-12-2013, 11:24 AM
bczrx, Thanks for the ideas, I'll be checking out the things you suggested on the rotating clip. Safety is on the lever, I cleaned the chamber as well as the barrel. Thanks again

MacDR
11-18-2013, 01:15 PM
My 99f in .308 did the same when I bought it earlier this year. Even factory sporting ammo stuck. I took it to my gunsmith and he laped the chamber as it was very rough. It shoots fine now. I found that new fired brass stretches more than I am used to in other rifles. For this reason I trim to length but only neck size pushing the shoulder back just enough to load with a bit of resistance.

wildcat hunter
11-19-2013, 09:43 AM
MacDR, thanks, I only fired 3 rounds of factory and they worked fine but I though about that too ( a rough chamber ). If I see more problems I will look into it.