PDA

View Full Version : Savage/Stevens 458 win mag.

Pages : [1] 2

Buster95
11-08-2013, 08:55 PM
I have a brand new Stevens 200 in 300 win mag, I would like to know if I can rebarrel it in 458 win mag without any modifications to the action and magazine?

bootsmcguire
11-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Yes and no. If your 200 has the centerfeed mag then yes it will work. Mine did anyway.

My understanding is the SF mags required a different mag box to properly feed, but I did not personally try a SF so take that for what its worth. I would say with the bigger bullets that the limiting factor will be your magazine length regardless of CF or SF. I tried bullets from 300 to 600grs and they all fed out of my CF as long as they were seated to fit my mag.

I had real good luck with RL7 and the 325gr FTX hornady bullets in mine. The 300gr (IIRC) TTSX's from Barnes did great also. I was intending mine for deer sized game with those loadings, never got the chance to go for a deer with it though, but the ballistics and accuracy were suitable for that out to 200yds or so for my tastes. My barrel had a lot of freebore in it for the bigger bullets and the short ones had to jump it, had the chamber been cut to handle the shorter bullets I wonder how much better the accuracy would have been.

Buster95
11-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Mine is a SF. Different mag box and what about the follower? What's the barrel contour on your rifle?

bootsmcguire
11-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Mine was in between a Magnum contour and a Varmint and had a threaded muzzle which I put a brake on. I know they list a 458 box and follower for the SF, but what the difference is for sure I can't say. IIRC the feed lips are tuned for the 458WM. Midway used to list them.

I ended up selling that barrel and building a 450 Bushmaster. The 458WM was just too much for my practical use.

goinssr
11-08-2013, 11:55 PM
I had real good luck with RL7 and the 325gr FTX hornady bullets in mine. The 300gr (IIRC) TTSX's from Barnes did great also. I was intending mine for deer sized game with those loadings, never got the chance to go for a deer with it though, but the ballistics and accuracy were suitable for that out to 200yds or so for my tastes. My barrel had a lot of freebore in it for the bigger bullets and the short ones had to jump it, had the chamber been cut to handle the shorter bullets I wonder how much better the accuracy would have been.
WOW....Boots, you guys must have some BIG deer in Iowa!

bootsmcguire
11-09-2013, 12:26 AM
Well actually we do. I really didn't need that barrel and caliber (of course) but it was a deal and it was one of those calibers that sounds like fun. It was, but for a fun gun it was rather costly to shoot so I opted for a 450 bushmaster barrel so I could still have a big bore in a package that was a little easier on my shoulder and my wallet. ;)

Buster95
11-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Where I can find a Savage 458 win mag magazine box and follower?

Buster95
11-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Or maybe a 416 Ruger is less trouble?

bootsmcguire
11-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Midway used to stock the mag and follower for the SF, but not sure on that anymore.

I have no personal experience with the 416 Ruger so any comments I make will be all speculation. I would think that the Ruger case could present its own set of challenges, and getting a barrel may be tougher and/or more costly.

I would be willing to bet money that if you were going to load spritzer bullets like the FTX or the TTSX in the 458WM that it would work ok from a 300WM magazine. I think where you are going to run into trouble is with the larger round nose type bullets, as the Spitzers would kinds of be self guiding. Depending on what uses you will have for such a rifle, a 300-350gr bullet at 2500+FPS will have plenty of power to knock down a lot of things. Again just speculation on my part, as far as feeding from a 300WM SF magazine.

goinssr
11-10-2013, 12:19 AM
If I remember right I had a center feed in .300WM and the magazine box said that it was for the .300WM and .416 Ruger. Those were the only two calibers listed on the magazine. If my memory serves me well then a .300WM should work for the 416 as well.

Buster95
11-10-2013, 01:49 AM
Bootsmcguire I think you're right about 416 Ruger pre-fit barrels availability I checked and I found nothing. Thanks for the replies. Maybe I will try with the 458.

bootsmcguire
11-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Can I inquire as to the intended use you have for a rifle with such power?

No judgement, just curious.

Buster95
11-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Can I inquire as to the intended use you have for a rifle with such power?

No judgement, just curious.

I always wanted a big bore rifle. I already have the rifle, the stock, heavy recoil lug and I have a good price on a McGowen 26" 458 win mag barrel.

bootsmcguire
11-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Nothing wrong with that. I was just curious.

Something to consider is going instead with a 450 Bushmaster. Recoil is a lot more manageable, ammo is cheaper, and just more enjoyable to shoot for fun. Now don't take that as I am trying to discourage you from the 458WM, if that's what you want go for it. I just figured I would throw that out there as somebody who has been there and done that.

Good luck in your build and if I can be any more help feel free to give me a shout.

Buster95
11-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks ;)

MrMajestic
11-10-2013, 08:54 PM
I owned a Spanish Mauser action with a custom stock and 24" Douglas barrel chambered in .458WM. I, like you and Boots, thought it would be interesting to own and I got a real good deal on it. Just so you can't say I didn't tell you so, the 400 grain Speer FN at a chrono'ed 2450 fps will jar your eye teeth lose! Consider shooting reduced loads with cast boolits to save your shoulder and cash. It was fun and now can say I owned one......

bootsmcguire
11-10-2013, 09:01 PM
the 400 grain Speer FN at a chrono'ed 2450 fps will jar your eye teeth lose!

Actually the rifle in my Avatar is the 458WM I had when it was together. (Notice the rather large twin ported muzzle brake).

MrMajestic
11-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Actually the rifle in my Avatar is the 458WM I had when it was together. (Notice the rather large twin ported muzzle brake).

No such luck on mine! Just 190 lb. me(back in the early '80's) bucked up against it on the bench! Can't imagine the roar produced by yours, exhilarating?

Buster95
11-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Probably a stupid question but is it possible to install a single-shot loading ramp and a 458 Lott barrel on my rifle and shoot it without problem, also I can shoot 458 win mag in 458 Lott from the magazine.

bootsmcguire
11-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Yes you can run the Lott with a Single shot follower. The Lott is 375 H&H length and the 375 is the parent for the Lott and works ok in a LA with a follower.

I am not sure about using 458WM ammo in a 458-Lott chamber, the drawings look pretty darn close, the slight body taper difference (ever so slight as it is) may be enough to be incompatible, I have no first hand experience with the Lott so hopefully someone with that knowledge can speak up.