PDA

View Full Version : High cost of shooting, what are you doing?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

yorketransport
11-17-2013, 11:37 PM
I have a fair amount of private timber land, DNR and National Forest land pretty close, so finding a location to shoot out beyond 1000 yards isn't very hard. Reloading is the best way to save money, but it's not quite as good as it used to be. The component cost is getting up there were it's still pretty pricey to go shooting for a day.

I found myself moving to some smaller calibers to cut down on cost. Instead of shooting the 300 WSM at longer ranges I'll shoot the 6mm BR. I don't shoot the 338's or the 375 BME as much either just because of the cost and availability of powder. Most powder is going for around $34 a pound around here and the 375 only gets 62 loads per pound. Not to mention the cost and availability of 338 and 375 bullets. I built a 284 Win to work as my ""heavy" gun for long range plinking.

I used to take my kids out with the 22s once a month. We would go through 500 rounds easy each time. Now I need to really watch how much they shoot just because I'm running low on 22 ammo. It's getting easier to find, but it's never going to be as cheap as it used to be!

Andrew

tomme boy
11-18-2013, 12:17 AM
I shoot more now than I ever have. 2-300 45acp every weekend. 150-200 308win. every weekend.

Did I mention I make all of my own bullets?

Dennis
11-18-2013, 05:54 AM
I have access to a ranch that we have built up to 500 yard and soon as we get some time were going to set up for 1000 yards. Ammo I reload and that helps with the cost and I shoot calibers that are a bit more wallet friendly.

missed, I don't know where Tolar is, but give me a shout when the 1k range is ready and I might just make the drive.

Dennis

missed
11-18-2013, 08:00 AM
Were southwest of fort worth by a bout an hour. Tacpro that is in our area has a 1k range also. hopefully after deer season calms down and the year end horse shows do we can get back to it. I just got back from the world show and the guys that own the ranch are leaving for the show today.

JCalhoun
11-18-2013, 05:38 PM
We have 1000y F-Class at Pascagoula, MS (Moss Point actually) but I'm usually at work on those days.

Hammer
11-22-2013, 06:58 AM

To reduce the high cost of shooting...

I have gone to mostly shooting 16 gauge early American side-by-sides like Winchester Model 21s, Parkers, and L C Smiths.

Prefer the short chambered ones when I can find them.

Am avoiding British, German, and Italian guns when I can.

Hammer
11-22-2013, 07:05 AM

But avoiding those European side-by-sides is difficult.

You ever tried to buy an American-made 32 gauge ?

Apache
11-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Lol!

JCalhoun
11-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Hammer,

I waved as you flew over but you didn't wave back. How you gonna act?:p

Hammer
11-22-2013, 12:39 PM
JCalhoun,

Does Alabama stand a chance against that powerhouse Chattanooga ?

Hammer

Hammer
11-22-2013, 12:43 PM

Y'all notice that WalMart ain't stocking the wide variety of 10 gauge quail loads any more ?

Don't seem to able to find the lightweight 1-7/8 ounce #3 load any more.

JCalhoun
11-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Hammer,

I think the Tide can take them if we get tough and don't let our guard down. Will be rough game though.

We went to buy some low brass 10ga dove loads and they didn't have any. They claimed some fella out west with a Tennessee accent was cornering the market.

Hammer
11-22-2013, 01:10 PM

Was looking through one of the walk-ins a few weeks ago.

Came across three 10 gauges I had forgot about.

One was a 34-inch side-by-side choked Full and Extra-Full. Had some European name on it.

One 32-inch pump with an Extra-Full choke.

And one 30-inch semi-auto.

Wish I knew where my long-barreled tight-choked ones were so I could shoot some barn pigeons.

Hammer
11-22-2013, 01:11 PM

JCalhoun,

When Florida State plays the Tide in January...

Who is the safe one for you to root for ?

Oh, did Alabama beat Mississippi State ?

Hammer

Hammer
11-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Have you filed a complaint with MEC that they don't offer their hydraulic progressive loaders in 10 gauge ?

JCalhoun
11-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Hammer,

January is a long ways off and still a few games to be played.

davemuzz
11-22-2013, 05:49 PM
None of that matters……tomorrow is the opening day of Pa. Black Bear firearms season!!! Yipee!! OTOH, in the interest of full disclosure I will admit this is the first year I've bot a bear license and the first year I've gone bear hunting. But, OTOH, I have my cart to haul it down the Mt. should I shoot it, I know where to take it to get it processed, and I know what to do with the bear rug when I get it home!! :)

Dave

Hammer
11-22-2013, 06:09 PM

Good luck on your bear hunt.

J.Baker
11-23-2013, 05:07 AM
I have found that the rare and elusive 4-gauge is the best medicine to use against a herd of charging field mice, but it's not so good for pheasants.

davemuzz
11-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Was Pa. Black Bear hunting until about 1:00 today. That's about all I can do. Saw no bear, no coyote, no deer….but there was a bunch of guys out there and there was a bunch of piles of bear poop…so we know there are bears out there. But….those bears are sneaky….and fast….very very fast!! When I left no one (at lest in the section of mountain I was hunting) downed one yet. But, in the PM, that can all change. (BTW, there were bear sightings…but no bullet\bear connections)

My 1st time bear hunting. Different type of hunt and I had a good time!!

Dave

PS….True Story: I have used, with 100% success, 44 magnum shotshells with #6 shot over a pretty substantial amount of VV-N-110. Now, this is a much more stout load than your off the shelf revolver shotshell. At 5' it will cut a mouse not only in half…but into bit's and pieces. I know this as I nick-named one of the "target mice" "Little Jimmy". So, my song goes…"Little Jimmy the mouse, He's a permanete part of the house!" (That's 'cause when I shot little jimmy, behind him was a 2x4 wall stud where pieces of little jimmy flew deep into. And no one will ever be able to remove those tiny pieces)