PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunter in a Boyds Thumbhoe stock?

Raydee38
11-08-2013, 07:43 AM
I have a Hog Hunter on the way that is going to be going into a XLR Chassis system but I would also like to buy a Boyds thumbhole stock for it but I am not sure if I should get the stock for the Standard barrel or the bull barrel. I know down the road I will end up buying a bull barrel but for now I wonder if the bull barrel channel on the Boyds stock will look funny with the standard contour Hog Hunter barrel in it?

Also will I need a metal trigger guard right off the bat to work in this stock?

JWW123
11-08-2013, 09:05 AM
order the larger barrel channel it looks good metal trigger guard is nice

tyler.woodard04
11-08-2013, 09:11 AM
I would not be swapping from the XLR to much, they are great I have one but I think the 6 screws that hold the handguard clamp in place could be easily stripped if your in and out alot. steel screws into an aluminum body

Rifleshooter308
11-08-2013, 10:42 AM
I did the same thing. The XLR is an awesome chassis but it's a beast. Nothing you would want to hunt with unless our stand hunting. It's really a prone bipod type chassis. The Boyd's thumbhole is an awesome hunting stock. It's LIGHT and a perfect match for the hog hunter. Definately get the larger inletting. The Hog Hunter has a "medium" varmint contour which is just smaller than the standard varmint. .750 at the muzzle as compared to .80. You will need to do work if you get the sporter inlet.

One note: Pound out the pillars in your tupperware factory stock and install them in the Boyds. The Boyds does not come with pillars so you'll be just tightening onto wood with no support. This is OK if your looking for minute of deer accuracy at 150 yards but not acceptable for anything serious. You will need to do some drilling to open up the holes and some trimming for the notched rear pillar but nothing difficult. Use some epoxy to set them and bolt the action in. I have built five separate rifles for hunting friends on the Hog Hunter and Boyd's stocks. For the money they can't be beat. All of them are MOA shooters.

Raydee38
11-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the good info. I figure for $100 you really can't go wrong. Once I get the Xlr chassis I may just end up getting a second Hog Hunter and keep one in the thunbhole stock.

Rifleshooter308
11-08-2013, 02:21 PM
I flip them back and for in about 3 minutes. :cool:

Raydee38
11-09-2013, 07:46 AM
I wonder if it would be a better idea to spend a little more on a stock that is already bedded?
http://www.eabco.com/store/savage-rifle-accessories/savage-thumbhole-varmint-stock-short-action-10/12/14/16/

thomae
11-10-2013, 02:30 PM
I believe it is a typo, but Eabco's disclaimer made me chuckle nonetheless:

(Older Stagger Feed magazine rifles that have 4.27" screw spacing and the newer Detachable magazine rifles that have 4.41" will NOT fit this stock).