View Full Version : New hunting rifle!!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

big honkin jeep
01-17-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm very surprised that you are finding that much freebore on a Savage. I have a pretty decent collection of Savages that I handload for and have never had any trouble reaching the lands with magazine length cartridges on any of them.
I have a couple of Remingtons that have way too much freebore and that's one of the things I don't like about the 700s.
I hope it works out for you.

thermaler
01-17-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm very surprised that you are finding that much freebore on a Savage. I have a pretty decent collection of Savages that I handload for and have never had any trouble reaching the lands with magazine length cartridges.
I have a couple of Remingtons that have way too much freebore and that's one of the things I don't like about the 700s.
I hope it works out for you.I assume you're addressing the OP--I can get almost into the lands while being under the magazine's max COL--but maybe the bigger bullet somehow engages with a longer seating? I wonder if something odd may be going on with the headspacing?

limige
01-21-2014, 05:43 AM
Fyi
check barnes site. They suggest shooting the x series .050 jump to avoid serious pressure issues. They don't have as soft of jackets as many other bullets.

thermaler
01-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Fyi
check barnes site. They suggest shooting the x series .050 jump to avoid serious pressure issues. They don't have as soft of jackets as many other bullets.Have they got info up for the LRX? When I started loading it they didn't even have any load info for it yet. Zero pressure issues on my 308 all the way up to my max charge for a 180 tsx (that's what they told me to load for when I called them). On the other hand the 300 win mag loads I've developed seem to chamber a bit funky even when at the same or less COL as an equivalently long high BC design from another manufacturer--I'm wondering if their advice really has more to do with the length of the bullet and ogive engaging in the throat/lands "sooner" in some 30 cal chambers??

I saw the recommendations for seating length--but no warning of pressure issues--where is that posted? What does the jacket hardness have to do with jump length? (just asking--wanna make sure I don't blow myself up!)

bajeep93
01-21-2014, 04:31 PM
I have never tried any of the Barnes bullets. They always seam over priced. But if that will do the trick I am willing to give them I try

thermaler
01-21-2014, 04:46 PM
I have never tried any of the Barnes bullets. They always seam over priced. But if that will do the trick I am willing to give them I trytheir tensile "stay-togetherness" and penetration ability are unmatched by lead/lead core (for equivalent size/weight)--at least in theory, so you can often get results at lower bullet sizes compared to lead/leadcore equivalents. That said--I've never been able to get groups that are as good as traditional style bullets out of the all-copper designs. But that was before I bought LRX's and my first tests show great promise compared to my previous experience with (t)TSx's. But that's just me YRMV.

limige
01-21-2014, 10:38 PM
http://www.barnesbullets.com/resources/newsletters/april-2011-barnes-bullet-n/

Scoll down to tips and tricks you will find

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/limige/Screenshot_2014-01-21-21-32-40_zps2a7c9d11.png

As for the hardness affecting seating, the harder something is the more resistance you will encounter entering the rifling. The more running start it has the easier it will go in. This is why Berger vlds work well jammed in many cases. They have soft jackets.

Have they got info up for the LRX? When I started loading it they didn't even have any load info for it yet. Zero pressure issues on my 308 all the way up to my max charge for a 180 tsx (that's what they told me to load for when I called them). On the other hand the 300 win mag loads I've developed seem to chamber a bit funky even when at the same or less COL as an equivalently long high BC design from another manufacturer--I'm wondering if their advice really has more to do with the length of the bullet and ogive engaging in the throat/lands "sooner" in some 30 cal chambers??

I saw the recommendations for seating length--but no warning of pressure issues--where is that posted? What does the jacket hardness have to do with jump length? (just asking--wanna make sure I don't blow myself up!)

thermaler
01-22-2014, 02:13 AM
http://www.barnesbullets.com/resources/newsletters/april-2011-barnes-bullet-n/

Scoll down to tips and tricks you will find

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/limige/Screenshot_2014-01-21-21-32-40_zps2a7c9d11.png

As for the hardness affecting seating, the harder something is the more resistance you will encounter entering the rifling. The more running start it has the easier it will go in. This is why Berger vlds work well jammed in many cases. They have soft jackets.Thanks for pointing that out--I didn't find that initially. .07 seems pretty dern long--what kind of jump on average for Barnes bullets do you find works best?

limige
01-22-2014, 02:36 AM
Honestly I haven't shot them yet just been researching them. But I've read of people having pressure issues trying to shoot them close to the lands. Also the lrx seem to shoot better with less pressure issues which is likely due to the reduced bearing surface.

I'm typically a berger vlds guy but picked up a 300 wsm to moose and elk hunt with. With critters of this size I want maximum penetration which is where barnes shines.
for deer and antelope my 6.5 creedmoor with 140 vlds will drop them in a heartbeat long range.

shoalwater
01-22-2014, 10:06 PM
You may want to look at a 20 MOA base as I believe that scope you bought only has around 50 MOA of adjustment. Which in reality will probably end up being somewhere around 17 to 20 MOA of usable upward bullet adjustment. Also if you really want a light weight stock that is top quality look at the Manners line of hunting stocks. They are fairly expensive and about a 4 month wait, but they are really nice high quality stocks. If you go with a Manners stock have it inlet for and buy CDI bottom metal and use AICS or Accurate mags which will give you the capability to mag feed cartridges with a COL of 3.625, should help you get closer to the lands on your rifle. Also Jim at NSS mentioned in an earlier post will have the varmint spring for your accutrigger to take it down to 1.5 lbs.

bajeep93
01-22-2014, 10:11 PM
I thought I read that it had 60 moa but I would half to check. My nightforce base that I put on it is a 20 moa base

bajeep93
01-22-2014, 10:43 PM
I still have not got scope rings. I am going to get them on Saturday morning. On Sunday I am going to take it out and put some factory ammo threw it to get it zeroed. As of right now I have some 180 grain accubonds I am going to load up as long as the mag will allow and go see what happens.

Hotolds442
01-23-2014, 04:43 AM
I still have not got scope rings. I am going to get them on Saturday morning. On Sunday I am going to take it out and put some factory ammo threw it to get it zeroed. As of right now I have some 180 grain accubonds I am going to load up as long as the mag will allow and go see what happens.

Bada boom
Big bada boom

thermaler
01-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Bada boom
Big bada boomYou must be a meat popsicle.

CharlieNC
01-23-2014, 10:53 AM
I shoot Berger 175 hunting VLD in my 300WM. You may be surprised to learn they shoot well with a .070" jump! A noted shooter has a Gunwerks rifle, purchased their ammo, and found this is the jump they are using with their accuracy guaranteed line. Berger also wrote an article a few years ago suggesting evaluating jumps into this range when developing loads. Seems like the VLD likes either no jump or something in the .050 - .070" range. No problem in the mag with these lengths. The other day these bullets were available on line too, maybe it was Midway.

Hotolds442
01-23-2014, 01:47 PM
You must be a meat popsicle.
Lol!

limige
01-24-2014, 04:16 AM
Actually my vlds in my 6.5 have shot best at a .010 jump.

thermaler
01-24-2014, 06:09 AM
I shoot Berger 175 hunting VLD in my 300WM. You may be surprised to learn they shoot well with a .070" jump! A noted shooter has a Gunwerks rifle, purchased their ammo, and found this is the jump they are using with their accuracy guaranteed line. Berger also wrote an article a few years ago suggesting evaluating jumps into this range when developing loads. Seems like the VLD likes either no jump or something in the .050 - .070" range. No problem in the mag with these lengths. The other day these bullets were available on line too, maybe it was Midway.I called Barnes to get more info on the LRX cause I just loaded it for my 300 wm and couldn't find any tables. The guy I talked to told me it was 300 wm that they encountered the pressure spike when loading close to lands. They know 1000 times more than I'll ever know about reloading--but my experience with the 300wm so far is that it's a bit more tricky to load for than other calibers so I'm not sure it necessarily follows you CAN'T load close to lands with other calibers assuming you do normal work-ups and watch for pressure signs. I'll give the long jump a go on my 308 win to see what difference it makes (my 300 win mag laser beams everything so it's hard to tell at the close ranges I test at).

I too have shot vlds with a close jump and have gotten nice sub-MOA results

Plowjocky
01-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Since when is the 30-06 a short action?

bajeep93
01-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Got it all put together!! Let me know what yea think.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/dyjumevu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/u2unubu7.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/uneqe7yb.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/puhete7u.jpg
While I was there I picked up this for my 300blk http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/mu9epypy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/yry4aze3.jpg