PDA

View Full Version : Excited and scared at the same time!

taylorce1
11-07-2013, 04:44 PM
My 10 year old daughter is going to shoot at the Olympic Training Center for the first time tonight. We've had her on the waiting list for the National Training Center Youth Shooting Program for over a year. She got the call about two weeks ago that there was a slot for her, and she did her orientation on Monday.

I wish I had an opportunity like this when I was a kid, and I'm glad that I'm able to give her this one. She'll be learning 10m air rifle and pistol from some very high caliber coaches. I'm just a little scared how much this is going to cost me down the road if she sticks with it and starts need better equipment than the club can provide! ;)

foxx
11-07-2013, 05:29 PM
That's awesome! Good for her. Gotta love it, really.

CharlieNC
11-07-2013, 06:56 PM
So you may get free professional instruction from her in the long run.

dcloco
11-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Congratulations!!!

thomae
11-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Wow. You must be so proud.
Yes, good equipment is expensive...but wait and see. Perhaps some will be provided to the team by corporate sponsors.

taylorce1
11-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Wow. You must be so proud.
Yes, good equipment is expensive...but wait and see. Perhaps some will be provided to the team by corporate sponsors.

I'm proud that my daughter is interested in shooting, as well as hunting. We'll see what the coaches think she is capable of before I go investing a lot of money. However, if she doesn't like this kind of shooting at least she'll get some world class coaching on the fundamentals. Four hours a week of instruction for $130 a year is hard to beat.

Nor Cal Mikie
11-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Couldn't think of a better way to spend some $$!

J.Baker
11-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Congrat's! That's too cool!

taylorce1
11-08-2013, 01:28 AM
Looks like I might have to move this to a pistol forum! She got to shoot pistols first tonight. She shot a 186 tonight in the final, highest score out everyone shooting tonight. Of course she did have an advantage, she shot what is called Progressive Position Pistol where she was sitting down and got to use a rest.
I'm still proud of her scores though!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/taylorce1/1383886500.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/taylorce1/1383886477.jpg

Next week on Monday she'll shoot air rifle.

thomae
11-08-2013, 10:45 AM
That electronic scoring is so cool.

nrar15
11-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Congrats I used to help coach the junior club at our range. What a joy to see the kids learn to shoot the right way.Good way to learn self control. It also helped my shooting, always catching myself doing what I had told the kids not to do.

taylorce1
11-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Wife said I needed a Xanax tonight, because I was so excited. My daughter shot air rifle for the first time tonight. She tied for first in the supported rifle final with a score of 90! It was a 10 shot final because they had the computer scoring screw up and so they had to restart the final. I forgot to get a picture of her final group, but this was her last six shots before she stated the final.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/taylorce1/Mobile%20Uploads/1384225108.jpg

This old man is going to be paying her to teach him to shoot before too long!. She has a tough decision ahead of her, both rifle and pistol coaches were lined up with the sales pitch trying to convince her on what discipline to pursue. I told my daughter it was totally up to her, and she decided to shoot one more night of each to figure it out.

Dennis
11-12-2013, 12:56 AM
taylorc1, keep us up to date. We will be watching, just send an email or PM.

Dennis

yobuck
11-12-2013, 08:55 AM
college is expensive also. there are still some schools with rifle teams and a scholarship can be helpful.
so equiptment cost could be a good investment for future returns.

taylorce1
11-12-2013, 09:55 AM
She was given a list of colleges that offer shooting scholarships already. She liked university of Kentucky and Tennessee for Division I schools and Texas Christian University (woman only team) best for Division II schools. I was hoping for one of the Service Academies since they'll pay for all her college. University of Anchorage was high on my list as well, that way I'd have her get residency so I could do some of my bucket list hunts!

yobuck
11-12-2013, 10:25 AM
i think the army would pick up her college cost if she enrolls in an rotc program in a
school with a rifle team. being a woman team member could be a plus due to the limited
ammount of them in that activity. penn state also has a team. at one time univ of md.
did also but not sure about now. in the early 50s my then 15 yr old sister was national
junior girls smallbore champion. but she chose marriage and babies over college.
with a little patience she could have had both. whats that they say about hindsite?

chukarmandoo
11-12-2013, 11:10 AM
taylorce1, This is a good thread! I almost missed it. It should be running in the "Competition" section. The seed is planted and time goes so fast. Before you know it we'll be hearing about a gold metal. Good luck to her and thanks for sharing.

taylorce1
11-12-2013, 11:42 AM
I didn't post it in the competition section because it really wasn't about Savage rifles in competition. If the moderators want to move this to the competition forum I'd be fine with that.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I'm really excited for my daughter. I'm trying to make sure she doesn't feel like this is being forced on her. I told her she has to do it for this year and if she wants to do something different next we can. I'm hoping to find a youth shotgun program for her as well as she wants to try that as well.