PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 and Hornady OAL gauge results...too long?

Red Dog Leader
02-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Finally have all the tools and supplies to load for the Stevens .223 model 200 bolt action received for Xmas.

This will be my 1st attempt at loading the .223.

So today I picked up the Hornady OAL gauge and shell, read the instructions and proceeded to measure.
Using Sierra 55g spitzer blitz 1345's. Sierra says load to 2.250 C.O.A.L.
I'm getting 2.368 and the Sierra max length says 2.260... The brass rod
is .089 below the case mouth. The bullet is barely into the case mouth.

Maybe I just can't reach the rifling (and still be safe?) with these 55 grain bullets.
I even tried a Remington 55g bulk bullet and it was (too me) way long looking also.

Now I know 2.260 is a Sammi spec, but this seems a wee bit too long for my inexperienced comfort.
I guess I could try and load a few and see how it goes, what do ya think?
Or, play it safe and go by the book?

Thanks, Tom

Red Dog Leader
02-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Ok, I missed the part about subtracting .020 to .040... :-[

Still -.04 = 2.33.
This looks alittle better. Now I have to get the comparator setup..

Thanks, T

davemuzz
02-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Your measurement using the Sierra 55g spitzer gives you a total chamber space of 2.368. The SAMI spec for the OAL of the .223 is 2.260.

If you just load to SAMI spec, you will still have "free chamber" space of (2.368-2.260=.108) a bit over 100 thousands. That's plenty of space.

If you load the Sierra to .40 (fourty thousands) from the lands, your OAL will be (2.368-.040=2.328.). Now, this OAL is only .068 (68 thousands) over the maximum SAMI spec.

I load Noslers for my .308 and 6.5 Swede over the SAMI spec all the time. As long as I have a sufficient amount of bullet length to hold the bullet in the brass nice 'n tight, and my measurements are good, I don't give too much thought to the SAMI OAL specs.

So, as long as you have good measurements, load 'em up. Start with you powder on the low side. Work up your loads and watch for pressure signs.

Good luck and make 'em one ragged hole!!

Dave

GaCop
02-28-2010, 06:57 AM
2.260" is the max length to fit in an AR magazine. Your bolt gun max length is measured to the ogive, not the meplat (tip).

Tightgroups
02-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Tom, all of the info you are gitting is good, but since this is your first ever go at reloading, I think you should go by the book. You dont have to touch the lands to have it shoot well, I have a 308 bolt gun, with a 10 round mag, so I cant load them long, or they wont fit in the magazine, and they shoot vary well, under .5moa with a jump of .100. And so may yours.
There's plenty of time for you to try longer bullets, and moving them forwards, when you get more experience. But to start, I recommend you stick with book OAL ammo.
Mike.

dolomite_supafly
02-28-2010, 08:40 AM
The potential for something bad happening is less with a bullet jumping to the lands than with one loaded at the lands. If you load rounds that are butted up against the lands there is potential for pressure spikes. When loading to allow the bullet to jump it lets the bullet start to move and pressure to drop a bit before hitting any resistance.

I also have a 223 and I do load mine a bit long at 2.43" OAL using 69 grain SMK's. But that was after doing a ton of shooting to find what works. Every gun is different and some prefer a jump while others don't. I would love nothing better than to have my gun shoot factory length ammo but it doesn't.

I would start out at factory length and do a ton of testing. If that doesn't work out then I would go to magazine length and work up some more loads. After that it is up to you but I would definitely start out by loading to factory length.

Dolomite

Also,
The reason some makers don't recommend shooting 5.56 in their chambers, not because the cases are different or that pressures are that much higher but because the bullets themselves are a bit farther out the case. The bullets in the 5.56mm are closer to the lands and in turn cause pressure spikes especially in tighter chambers. These spikes can cause blown primers or case failure. Essentially you are wanting to load bullets farther out which could duplicate the same problems some rifles have with 5.56mm.