PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Sporter Stock for Stevens 200

David G
11-07-2013, 07:50 AM
I have a 2005 model Stevens 200 in 308. It has the blind stagger feed magazine with 4.25 action screw spacing. I'm sorry but I just can't get past the factory stock and would like to upgrade to a better quality lightweight sporter style stock and do so at a reasonable cost. Price range 250.00 or less. I've weighed my factory stock and the complete stock comes in at 30 ozs. Being I'm not getting any younger I would certainly like to keep the weight of the replacement stock comparable to the factory stock weight or right at 2 pounds if possible. I've looked hard at the Boyd's Classic and it's advertised weight is 2.8 pds. I'm wondering if I purchased this stock and sent it to a stock maker about how much more weight could be shaved off with additional shaping? The cheekpiece could be removed, the forearm area could be rounded and thinned down as well,the swivel studs can be removed as I have never had any use for them. All this would contribute to weight savings but are not sure if it would reduce it by .8 pds. Do you folks know of a stock maker that would be willing to discuss such a project? Also, do you folks know of any other options that would get me into a lightweight sporter stock? I know there is the carblite and duramaxx that would be in my price range but are not sure of their weight. I realize there are other stock options that would get me there but those are out of my price range. Thanks, David.

Texas Solo
11-07-2013, 09:15 AM
You could try these folks:

http://rifle-stocks.com/cascade_classic.htm

They were very helpful to me. I chose the stock I wanted, then gave them the barrel channel specs and options I wanted added. No problem. They even phoned me last night to let me know that the inletting on my stock was about to begin and they just wanted to verify all my specs before starting. If you click on "standard styles" on the top tab, you'll see laminate stocks starting at less than $100 at 99% inletting. Although Stevens isn't listed on the "action inlets" tab, it's probably the same as a Savage #10.
Call them, maybe they can help.

big honkin jeep
11-07-2013, 03:21 PM
You might check on a Bell and Carlson Carbelite. I haven't used this particular stock but love the B&C Medalist tactical varminters I have. B&C are known for making a good product.

David G
11-07-2013, 03:27 PM
I'll check on that one as well!