PDA

View Full Version : Lapua brass question

savman
11-06-2013, 01:32 PM
I have been reloading 1x fired brass from factory loaded ammo out of my .308. I recently bought a box of Lapua brass. My question is: Do I need to full-length re size the new brass? Thanks for any replies.

missed
11-06-2013, 03:24 PM
I full length my new brass just to make sure there where I want it. If it's close to spec it really won't make much if any of a change.

savman
11-06-2013, 05:14 PM
That is what I was thinking. I thought I read once that it was prepped, but it might have been Nosler Brass.

foxx
11-06-2013, 05:31 PM
I don't always FL my new Lapua brass. But maybe I should. Can't tell the difference. I do after annealing, however. I am no expert, of course.

Rifleshooter308
11-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Neck sizing is a good idea to run out any dents and uniform tension. It is pretty **** consistent so FL is not really necessary.

Code4
11-06-2013, 08:58 PM
I have used Lapua brass in .243. .308 and 9.3x62. Not one case has needed F/L sizeing before loading. It is that good.

I do however neck size so that neck tension is the same for the life of the case.

Elkbane
11-07-2013, 10:58 AM
I've found new Lapua brass to have the necks a little tight, and they need to be chamferred. I've haad better luck keeping the necks straight by running them over an expander mandrel than FL sizing them. The case body doesn't contact the die when FL sizing and it can skew the necks. Then chamfer. uniform primer pockets and shoot. I don't trim them to uniform length until they have been fireformed and the shoulders are at uniform length. YMMV.
ELkbane

pitsnipe
11-07-2013, 11:40 AM
I've found new Lapua brass to have the necks a little tight, and they need to be chamferred. I've haad better luck keeping the necks straight by running them over an expander mandrel than FL sizing them. The case body doesn't contact the die when FL sizing and it can skew the necks. Then chamfer. uniform primer pockets and shoot. I don't trim them to uniform length until they have been fireformed and the shoulders are at uniform length. YMMV.
ELkbane

+1! As I have found the same. As well as an OCCASIONAL case with a dented neck that would have reeked havoc on seating a pill without scraping off some of the jacket. Neck tension/ID is a BIG step towards consistency in accuracy.

Snipe