PDA

View Full Version : Can a custom Savage shoot consistently under 0.25 MOA, or the action is the limit?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

eddiesindian
11-06-2013, 10:56 PM
It takes an accurate rifle to be competitive and it takes doping the wind to win. You can have a rifle that shoots in the .2s all day but if you can't dope the wind might as well stay home and save your ammo.

couldnt agree more. only way to dope for wind is to get out there and have at it.
I know that here in southwest tx, wind is a constant and its help,d me make better judgment calls when dailing up for winds. really makes my day when sending a round out to 1K and hitting on the 1st shot. course, it doesnt happen all the time, but when it does?.......

sharpshooter
11-07-2013, 02:22 AM
I can see that none of you guys actually shoot registered competition.

foxx
11-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Would like to. :)

I shoot quite a bit, though.

Are you saying if I shot registered competition, I'd find out consistent .25 moa is tougher (or maybe something different) than I think?

missed
11-07-2013, 08:43 AM

I want to but there is hardly ever anything local. Seems like everything I have to go to Houston, ok city, or go to Missouri.

Yes competition is a different ball game. Right now I can wait till the wind is right and everything feels good. I have wanted to go shoot one of the silhouette shoots or f/tr.

davemuzz
11-07-2013, 11:12 AM

Registered Competition….what's that? Wind? I live in South Western Pa where the land goes from 1,000ft to 3,500 feet above sea level in a 40 minuet drive. Oh, and its not a flat drive….I think those are called undulations.

Dave

earl39
11-07-2013, 11:26 AM
ROTFLMAO........ You guys are missing the point of the OP. Notice that he has only posted twice to this thread and both times he is declaring that a $1000 savage will not shoot with a $4500 custom. Well the answer to his post is sure it will. Same barrel, same ammo, and the action is just something to hold the barrel and bolt in place. The barrel and ammo is the deciding factor in his question. Now yall are just beating each other up.

sharpshooter
11-07-2013, 02:24 PM
I got a hundred bucks says that none of you guys that posted in this thread have ever shot a .250" aggregate with any gun. When I say aggregate , I mean 5 - 5shot groups @ 100 yds. It's a lot tougher than you think. While I have won a few registered matches with a Savage based rifle, even the shooters with custom actions built guns have a hard time keeping aggs under .250" on certain days.
I don't feel handicapped at all using a Savage action and if I thought a custom would give me an edge, I'd already have one. The rest of the components are the same as on everyone else custom rigs, and as earl said, the action is just an ignition system.

missed
11-07-2013, 02:31 PM
I got a hundred bucks says that none of you guys that posted in this thread have ever shot a .250" aggregate with any gun. When I say aggregate , I mean 5 - 5shot groups @ 100 yds. It's a lot tougher than you think. While I have won a few registered matches with a Savage based rifle, even the shooters with custom actions built guns have a hard time keeping aggs under .250" on certain days.
I don't feel handicapped at all using a Savage action and if I thought a custom would give me an edge, I'd already have one. The rest of the components are the same as on everyone else custom rigs, and as earl said, the action is just an ignition system.

**** I'll try!

So you will cut me another beautiful bolt body if I can pull it off?

foxx
11-07-2013, 02:39 PM
I will try. I never even heard of an aggregate before. Sounds cool. I know it is tough. I agree 100% with Sharpshooter. Just don't see what it has to do with the fact I believe in Savage rifles.

BTW, I used to be a very good competitive target (not 3d) archer. Before I competed, I never knew how good I was, nor how difficult it was. There's a lot to it. Mentally, physically, mechanically... The shooting sports are great. Oftentimes misunderstood.

For example, indoor 20 yard archery... I could shoot 70-75 "x's" in a row (x's are about the size of a dime)... But I never actually shot a clean game of 60, even in practice. I might hit 20, then miss, and shoot another 39. I would then start a new "game", hit 40 more x's, then miss before shooting another 19. Putting together a game of 60 x's eluded forever. Actually, I know very few people that have done so.

I hope to get back into it someday.

davemuzz
11-07-2013, 03:29 PM
I got a hundred bucks says that none of you guys that posted in this thread have ever shot a .250" aggregate with any gun. When I say aggregate , I mean 5 - 5shot groups @ 100 yds.

I'd say you would end up light by $100.

Dave

foxx
11-07-2013, 03:37 PM
My money is on Dave. :)

But, my question is this: Have you actually done it, or are you confident you will, now that a challenge has been made? :)

Notice, Sharpshooter said he was willing to bet no one of us have actually done it. He did not say we couldn't if we tried :)

davemuzz
11-07-2013, 04:39 PM
The 100 yard one hole groups with 5 shots are not that difficult if you handload. In fact, your hand loads can have a pretty large Standard Deviation and you can\will get a ragged hole at 100 yards. The difficult part comes into play when you try to achieve this at longer yardages. If your bullets are not seated with any concentricity, or any neck tension consistency, then your SD isn't going to be low…which is where you need it to be to get your longer ranges to have those tiny groups.

Of course, it all doesn't come down to just SD, but SD is a big part of it, and brass prep is a big part of obtaining a small SD.

But, I'm still willing to bet on that 5 shot group, 5 times at 100 yards. :)

Dave

kevin1
11-07-2013, 04:41 PM
ROTFLMAO........ You guys are missing the point of the OP. Notice that he has only posted twice to this thread and both times he is declaring that a $1000 savage will not shoot with a $4500 custom. Well the answer to his post is sure it will. Same barrel, same ammo, and the action is just something to hold the barrel and bolt in place. The barrel and ammo is the deciding factor in his question. Now yall are just beating each other up.

Yes and no…
I think a rifle build with a shorter lock time will be inherently more accurate than a Savage action. So in theory, and everything else being the same, it will outshoot a Savage action.

However, from a practical point of view, the accuracy difference would be almost not noticeable for most people (all of you, and me included), as the shooter and the ammo (like others have said) play a bigger role in the overall scheme of things.
I’m a big fan of Savage and I’m planning to swap the barrel of my current rig (Savage 10FP in a B&C A2). But if I was an anal bench rest shooter, trying to get the maximum of accuracy and spending 30mn to load 1 round (perfect concentricity, etc…), I’m sure that I will choose a different action. But let’s face it, non of us here is an “anal bench rest shooter”.

So maybe a fair statement would be the following:
If all the parameters are optimum, a Savage action can shoot consistent 0.25MOA groups. But to get even better accuracy (like 0.12 MOA) , a different action will be required.

davemuzz
11-07-2013, 04:52 PM
So maybe a fair statement would be the following:
If all the parameters are optimum, a Savage action can shoot consistent 0.25MOA groups. But to get even better accuracy (like 0.12 MOA) , a different action will be required.

Now that's a fair statement. I'd be putting my wallet away on a bet like that. I love accurate rifles and I love to putz with my Savages to get 'em there. It's just very satisfying. It doesn't make a difference to the groundhog that get's whacked by 'em or the whitetail that maybe the shot was off by 1.5". But to me, I like to go to the range and shoot sub MOA groups. Plus….ding metal plates at long distances….that brings out the kid in me too!!!

Dave

wbm
11-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Where did I leave that last bag of gourmet popcorn?

missed
11-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Now that's a fair statement. I'd be putting my wallet away on a bet like that. I love accurate rifles and I love to putz with my Savages to get 'em there. It's just very satisfying. It doesn't make a difference to the groundhog that get's whacked by 'em or the whitetail that maybe the shot was off by 1.5". But to me, I like to go to the range and shoot sub MOA groups. Plus….ding metal plates at long distances….that brings out the kid in me too!!!

Dave

That's true in my book too. It's like fast cars it takes x amount of money to go fast and it takes x squared amount of money to go faster. I did see a savage target action that was completely free floated and the barrel base was the mounting point and it was a 6xc bench rest gun that would consistently shoot in the 0.10 moa range, but that runs back into the big $$ this guy was a machinist and said he would have to have $5k plus to have that gun in your hands.

I want to load some ammo and go for the 5 shot one hole challenge bad! Hope I have enough 168's to do it!

earl39
11-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Read again missed. It is 5 groups of 5 shots and the way it is scored is consecutive groups. You can't take the random 1/4 moa groups and say hey i did it. And that is why i shoot F-Class.....no group measurements just shooting for score. I have kept 5 under an inch at 300 yards. I think the rifle and load will do it on a regular basis but as for me......well even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.

This is one bet i recommend you don't take with Fred.

pappy83
11-07-2013, 07:20 PM
My kid shoots on the Michigan FT/R team she is the only one using a Savage. She does very well at competitions and even had a Custom Build that she decided was not for her and went back to Savage. Her rifle does just as well as any of the team rifles she may not read wind as well yet but her rifle groups very well. it will shoot .2-.3's with the .308 barrel on all day this barrel is 26 inches long shooting 215 bergers. When we put the 20 inch 7mm saum barrel on it she will see .1's and .2's don't know why it shoots better with the saum barrel we use lapua brass with the 308 and Remington with the SAUM all other loading is the same scale, and trimmer wise. Her barrel on average is faster then the others with same load. I have seen the SAUM barrel shoot in the .2's at 200yds(5 shot groups) and do it often so yes a custom savage can shoot .25. Her rifle is a stock LRP with just a barrel she even uses the HS stock that is completely unmolested so I wouldn't even call hers a custom Savage as it has not truing, bedding, or trigger work.

missed
11-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Oh I know it's 25 in one hole basically! It will be tough but I am gonna try

I want to try f class or silhouette or tactical rifle. Seems like matches are kinda space around here though

Nor Cal Mikie
11-07-2013, 08:05 PM
I've never shot in a match but I've out shot my shooting buddy a few times if that counts. (and he's real hard to beat!!)

OK, lets see if I've got this right. Five 5 shot groups. All on the same target? Any time limit? Average of all 25 combined shots (5 targets) ? Just need to make sure I've got the rules correct.
Sounds like something to "really" work for. I'll have to try it before I'd bet on it but, it sounds like fun. The worst thing that can happen is shoot too big?