PDA

View Full Version : mils or moa, what do you prefer?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sic4531
11-06-2013, 12:51 AM
What do you prefer milliradians or minutes of angle? What subtensions does your scope utilize? Explain your answer.

I use both. I started on moa based scopes, and moved to mrad. it was mostly to learn a new thing but ive begun to prefer mrad and think in terms of meters and metric division. the math is easier when dealing with size and ranges because they are all units of 10. it was a bit of a learning curve, living in the US and spending most of my life thinking in US units of measurement.

stangfish
11-06-2013, 01:17 AM
I think the MRAD works with mil dots or other milrad reticles in the FFP or like on my SS16 and 20X. If I were to do it all over again on my SIII SFP I would have gone MOA/MOA. For med range it takes me one or two extra to get it in the x if I am going from a 200 zero or working on a new load(now that Varget is tough to find.). Mrad is Metric?

Dennis
11-06-2013, 01:23 AM
I am "use" to MOA. I could learn MIL, but I hate starting over. MOA is second nature to me. I just don't see changing now.

JMO, Dennis

hafejd30
11-06-2013, 01:28 AM
MOA. Pretty much for the same reason as Dennis. Used to it, It works, already have another scope thats MOA/MOA and would bag it all up while adjusting for shots if I had both MOA and MRAD

foxx
11-06-2013, 01:48 AM
Seems to me neither is better, as long as the "click" adjustments are consistent with the reticle. (MRAD/MRAD and MOA/MOA as opposed to MRAD/MOA.) Assuming you're new, starting from scratch, I guess it makes sense to me to learn MRAD due to the easier math.

thomae
11-06-2013, 10:05 AM
I agree with Foxx. Clicks and subtensions in consistent units.

By the way, MRAD is neither metric in terms of units of distance (yards versus meters, inches versus centimeters, etc...).

It is metric in that the math is primarily units of ten.

With your target set at a distance of 1000 units of length, adusting your scope 1 MRAD moves your point of aim 1 unit.

So for example, at 1000 yards, 1 MRAD projected on a target is 1 yard, at 1000 inches, 1 MRAD projected on a target is one inch, at 1000 light years, 1 MRAD projected on the target moves your point of aim 1 light year (but calculating bullet drop for that distance is a real bear.)

chukarmandoo
11-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Mils and there is nothing metric about it other than the fact that it can be used in yards or meters. 1 mil = 1 yard at 1000 yards. 1 mil = 1 meter at 1000 meters.

foxx
11-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Mils and there is nothing metric about it other than the fact that it can be used in yards or meters. 1 mil = 1 yard at 1000 yards. 1 mil = 1 meter at 1000 meters.

or cubits. :)
That's what makes it work. :)

Texas Solo
11-06-2013, 11:24 AM
It is metric in that the math is primarily units of ten. \

With your target set at a distance of 1000 units of length, adusting your scope 1 MRAD moves your point of aim 1 unit.

So for example, at 1000 yards, 1 MRAD projected on a target is 1 yard, at at 1000 inches, 1 MRAD projected on a target is one inch, at 1000 light years, 1 MRAD projected on the target moves your point of aim 1 light year (but calculating bullet drop for that distance is a real bear.)

I got a headache just reading that.
I love my MOA/MOA scopes. I know that the 10ring in F class is 5", or 1MOA at 500yds. I can either dial in a quick wind correction or just hold off using the hash marks, which match the click values. Simple.

foxx
11-06-2013, 11:43 AM
I got a headache just reading that.
I love my MOA/MOA scopes. I know that the 10ring in F class is 5", or 1MOA at 500yds. I can either dial in a quick wind correction or just hold off using the hash marks, which match the click values. Simple.

Yeah. What's time got to do with distance, anyway?

psharon97
11-06-2013, 12:37 PM
I've always shot MOA, so that's what I use. Both will get the job done.

seanhagerty
11-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Either one works.

sic4531
11-06-2013, 03:15 PM
What do you prefer milliradians or minutes of angle? What subtensions does your scope utilize? Explain your answer.

I use both. I started on moa based scopes, and moved to mrad. it was mostly to learn a new thing but ive begun to prefer mrad and think in terms of meters and metric division. the math is easier when dealing with size and ranges because they are all units of 10. it was a bit of a learning curve, living in the US and spending most of my life thinking in US units of measurement.

I never meant to imply that mrad was metric per se. What I meant was Ive begun to prefer mrad AND to think in terms of metric linear measurement because the math is easier. It's entirely possible to measure in US standard and Moa but work with milliradians on your scope, but i prefer metric. That is what I was implying with the third option of the poll.

chukarmandoo
11-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Okay, here is my problem. Most moa reticles on the market today that have subtensions are nonuniform known as bdc reticles and many shooters have them. So how can that be better than a mil reticle that is uniform? I have a scope that has mil reticle and moa dial. Is it a problem? Not really. Not preferred but it definitely works better than bdc. If you haven't tried mrad you need to give it a try. I guarantee if you ask a shooter that is using mils to give you a correction in moa ,he can. But not the other way around. Once you work with it a while you'll love it.

foxx
11-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Yeah, chukarmandoo, I agree. I don't think the bdc reticle is what the op had in mind when he took the poll.

yobuck
11-08-2013, 09:24 PM
ok so heres another question.
lest say you shot at a deer at 1050 yds and your shot fell about a foot below his feet and about 2 ft behind him.
what would you do?

Ackevor
11-08-2013, 09:49 PM
ok so heres another question.
lest say you shot at a deer at 1050 yds and your shot fell about a foot below his feet and about 2 ft behind him.
what would you do?

Start firing like crazy because he is now running haha... but if he was dumb and stood there (which I am assume you are implying) you simply hold over the number of mils that it dropped. So if you were shooting shoulder level, bullet impacted 2.7 mils low, raise your point of aim 2.7 mils or quickly click 2.7 mils up.

I must say though, if it hit "below" his feet then I doubt it is also "behind" him so my above scenario applies if it impacted the ground between you and the deer.

yobuck
11-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Start firing like crazy because he is now running haha... but if he was dumb and stood there (which I am assume you are implying) you simply hold over the number of mils that it dropped. So if you were shooting shoulder level, bullet impacted 2.7 mils low, raise your point of aim 2.7 mils or quickly click 2.7 mils up.

I must say though, if it hit "below" his feet then I doubt it is also "behind" him so my above scenario applies if it impacted the ground between you and the deer.

well the wind would have drifted it over and an elevation error for whatever reason could have also caused it to be low.
no point to more shooting without corrections. so which reticle would be best for that situation and how would you go about it?

chukarmandoo
11-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Two ways. Keep in mind I'm using mils EBR-2B reticle. 1- I would not have made the shot without a spotter and he would have called out the correction in mils. I then have two options - dial or hold. The other thing to point out is if I took the shot I wouldn't miss.

I have some rifles for hunting that are moa that have BDC reticles and the only thing I can do is dial. They're good scopes and they work up close but I hate them.

Texas Solo
11-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Most moa reticles on the market today that have subtensions are nonuniform known as bdc reticles and many shooters have them.

Not exactly. Those scopes with BDC advertise them as BDC, not MOA/MOA. If a scope has BDC subtensions, it is not a true MOA or MRAD scope, as neither system will match the BDC subtensions. Most hunting scopes do have some form of BDC, but that does not relate to an MOA or MRAD adjustable turret, so to me, it's useless. Know the distance, calculate the drop, dial or hold, and let it fly.
I'll never understand why scopes are made with Mil Dot reticles and MOA turret adjustents.