PDA

View Full Version : Savage 16BSS Stock

10gaugemag
11-05-2013, 08:08 AM
I am getting ready to call Numrich later today to see if a stock they supposedly have will fit my rifle. What they have is a laminated stock for a 16BSS. My question to you all is if the hole spacing is correct at 4.4'' will it work for my older model 12 that I am currently gathering parts for a build on. Even if the new stock is a round receiver stock will it work as long as hole spacing is correct? I am starting to see that a stock for a sporter/magnum barrel configuration is not an easy find without dropping $400+. Like I said I am going to call Numrich later but wanted to run it by you all in case they are unable to answer my questions as to whether this stock was made for a gun with a round receiver or not.

10gaugemag
11-05-2013, 11:04 AM
I called Numrich but don't think the stock will work. Its made for a round receiver. Still looking for a good stock for my build I guess. Any advice will be appreciated.

RP12
11-05-2013, 11:11 AM
It does "look" like one of the older 4.275 spacing stocks. I have ordered stocks from them before and they have always been older styles, unless otherwise noted. That one looks to be the old 2 by 4 shape, chunky with a thick pistol grip area.

RP12
11-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Try Boyd's gun stocks.

10gaugemag
11-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Try Boyd's gun stocks.

I really like the Boyds but the low price makes me hesitate a little. Are they too good to be true? I do like the ability to add a grip cap, checkering and a forend cap if wanted.

RP12
11-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Boyd's are top notch stocks, not to good to be true, just great quality at a great price.

jpdown
11-05-2013, 08:06 PM
+1 on Boyds Gunstock if you prefer a wood laminated stock for a Savage CF action. Pillar and/or glass bed to free-float the tang and barrel. You can open up the barrel channel with a wood dowel rod and sand paper if needed. Re-seal the wood with several coats of Tru-Oil. It comes finished and inletted for a drop-in fit so you don't have to do a lot of extra work. They also offer custom options as you have already discovered. If you want a better recoil pad, then I recommend having them fit it for you when you order the stock. Wait time is short and the price is right.

If you prefer a lighter composite stock, then it is hard to beat what Stockade Gunstock has to offer. But be prepared to wait for months as with most custom made stocks. It will be worth the wait.

10gaugemag
11-05-2013, 08:35 PM
I have been looking at Boyds since the thought to build a rifle crossed my mind just wasn't too sure of the cheap price had me wondering. Just glanced at Stockade and really like the hunting sporter model as my build will have a 22-24'' mag contour as a treestand rifle. Was thinking of a 257 Roberts but the Rem.260 has me interested as well.

stangfish
11-05-2013, 10:11 PM
I am not trying to disrespect RP12 but top notch may be over estimating them. What I believe he means is they are very popular around here, proven to fit if you order the correct model and are in fact a value that is hard to beat for what they are. I have no, nor can I remember any... complaints ever.

RP12
11-05-2013, 10:17 PM
I am not trying to disrespect RP12 but top notch may be over estimating them. What I believe he means is they are very popular around here, proven to fit if you order the correct model and are in fact a value that is hard to beat for what they are. I have no, nor can I remember any... complaints ever.That's not describing a top notch product ? Just yank'in your chain. No they are not the best ones out there, but an incredible value, and very well made.

jpdown
11-05-2013, 10:21 PM
I have the Stockade hunter sporter with CF blind magazine. It is my favorite Savage stock for hunting since it is lighter than a similar style in walnut or laminated wood. The narrow flat forend also rides the bags well for bench work. And the money saver version is fairly easy to final finish and paint.

The picture below shows this build with a Savage LA CF (satin black GunKote finish) and 6.5x284 Savage factory sporter 24" barrel (brush stainless GunKote finish). The Stockade Hunter stock is finished with flat black DuraCoat and black & silver Krylon webbing spray for texture and non-slip grip. Total weight with Leupold VX-3 2-10 CDS scope as pictured is 8 lbs, 11 oz.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0023_zps4459675c.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jpdown/media/PICT0023_zps4459675c.jpg.html)