PDA

View Full Version : New Axis Owner - need help with scope mount

GMC-AT
11-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Just got a new 25-06 Axis. I have a Nikon ProStaff scope... I put it on the gun.. and the bolt (high throw) hit the scope not allowing it to open all the way. My mounts are a 2 piece mount I purchased seperate. I researched some and saw a one piece mount....like this http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Savage_Axis_Edge_Picatinny_Rail_Mount_p/egw-418.htm

Is this what I need? I guess I need to get the higher ring mounts as well? Please help and provide any helpful links... details.. I have a hunt coming up in a few days.. need to get ready!
thanks!

Cru3rd
11-03-2013, 10:05 PM
That base will work fine. I'm using the same one with med. rings and a 50mm scope and everything clears fine. You may get by with low rings depending on you scope size.

LoneWolf
11-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Yep! I run the 20MOA on my rig.

GMC-AT
11-03-2013, 10:21 PM
2 questions -

1. Do I get a 0 or 20 MOA mount ( I never shoot over 250 yards)

2. My scope is a Nikon ProStaff - standard 40. Can you post a link to the rings that should work?

LoneWolf
11-03-2013, 10:31 PM
0 is perfect

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

J.Baker
11-03-2013, 11:59 PM
If it's hitting the ocular bell then you pretty much have to go to taller rings to move it up. Considering most every brand/type of rings is unique in their actual installed height it's kind of hard for anyone to say exactly what ring will/won't work for your particular situation. Unfortunately standardization is something that's never caught on in the firearms accessory industry.

thomae
11-04-2013, 08:52 AM
I have an Axis set up with the EGW rail and medium Burris Signature Zee rings.
- The rail allows more flexibility in where you mount the scope so it fits your eye/body position. It also elevates the scope some.
- I like the Signature Zee rings because they hold my scopes well, don't mark or stress the scopes, and don't need to be trued or lapped.

On my Axis, I am using a Bushnell elite 10x mil/mil scope and I did have to grind down the front teeth of the rail so the scope bell could fit. The reason for this was that the scope is short and I had to pull it rather far to the rear to get the proper scope/eye position I need.

The height of the different sizes of Burris rings is on their website.

To reiterate previous points made:
- You should not need a 20 MOA rail for what you are doing.
- Other brands' medium rings may be different heights, so unfortunately you will need to figure it all out and do the math to see if what fits.

fgw_in_fla
11-04-2013, 09:38 AM
We did this already.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?15888-Bolt-handle-hits-scope

I ended up grinding a notch on the bolt handle then dressed it up to look like it belonged there. One of my Axis bolt handles I ground the arm flat - removed the recessed areas of the arm & painted it.
There's something about the Nikon ProStaff that will drive you batty. I tried rings, rails, 2x4 block & tie wire - no joy. I ended up using the Prostaff on another rifle & stuck a Vortex on the Axis.
It's got a somewhat larger diameter eye bell, I reckon.