PDA

View Full Version : ? for those with Shilen barrels

Pages : 1 [2]

sinman
12-20-2013, 10:48 AM
You never did state where you bought it from, did you get it directly from Shilen, or a gunsmith or some place else?

sharpshooter
12-20-2013, 05:04 PM
I agree. I do think that the roll stamp is not optimum as it produces stresses and minor bore deviations. Am I good enough to know the difference? Nope.

If you are good at slugging bores, you can feel every letter in a roll stamp, at least I can.

missed
12-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Laser engraving I think would be the solution.

stangfish
12-20-2013, 05:19 PM
If you are good at slugging bores, you can feel every letter in a roll stamp, at least I can.

I've heard its like reading in brail for the guys who know the feel.

Westcliffe01
12-20-2013, 07:21 PM
This barrel, like all the others was ordered through Jim at NSS in April 2013.

You never did state where you bought it from, did you get it directly from Shilen, or a gunsmith or some place else?

Westcliffe01
12-20-2013, 07:23 PM
This is true even when the bar is roll stamped prior to drilling, reaming and lapping ? It would sure make those blanks easier to track through the process if you know what they are...

sharpshooter
12-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Why would you rollmark a blank before it's machined? One of the last process's is turning the o.d. to the customers contour. The un-turned blanked are usually stamped on the breech end with all the critical information after they are drilled,reamed and rifled, and only after they pass quality control. They have to make that far before they can be turned and chambered. Up to that point, they are labeled as a bore size and twist rate.
Savage uses a color coding system on the end of the billets, until they are turned and threaded. Once the painted end is cut off, they are stamped with a letter code. I can tell you that purple is for .270 Win.

Stockrex
12-21-2013, 04:40 AM
Exactly.

They need one of the Cnc laser engravers!
sure may I suggest that u buy one and send one to shilen as a Christmas present pls.
The sight of those scribbled engraving might not settle well with some and we will appreciate your donation ;-)

jerry shaw
01-01-2014, 11:40 PM
That's approximately what my Shilen barrels look like. They both shoot bughole groups.
I assume it indicates that they spend more time getting the barrel right than on dressing up the markings nobody will see.
Until my barrels don't shoot, I'm not really much concerned with how they're marked.

JS

blanchard83
01-01-2014, 11:44 PM

Bought it from northland

blanchard83
01-01-2014, 11:50 PM
Until my barrels don't shoot, I'm not really much concerned with how they're marked.

JS

That's exactly the reason I asked about the engraving. I have put about 300 rounds through it trying to get it to shoot consistently under moa. I have given up on the 260ai and have rechambered it to 6.5 creedmoor.

northlander
01-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Shilen does an excellent job of supporting their barrels in the field if there are issues with it not shooting properly. If you have an issue with a Shilen barrel you should contact your seller or Shilen directly and advise them that you have a concern. Once you take a barrel to a gunsmith or do the tweaking yourself you can easily void the warranty.

This policy goes for every barrel maker that I am aware of. If their in house workmanship has caused the barrel to not work properly they want to see what is wrong before anyone starts tweaking their barrel. The barrel may or may not be the problem and having someone adjust, internally or externally, their barrel can easily obscure the original issues, if any. The barrel maker can not be responsible for the performance of a barrel that is modified outside of their shop. I am talking about a pre-fit barrel and not a barrel that was purchased as a blank and finished by a qualified gunsmith. Issues with a custom barrel from a gunsmith should be addressed back to the gunsmith that did your work.

Jim Briggs
NSS

blanchard83
01-02-2014, 12:29 PM
I just assumed that after the barrel was installed, there was no warranty. Either way I have no warranty now because I rechambered it. That fixed the accuracy problem. Now easily shoots under 1/2 moa.

I just had a question about the engraving and that question has been answered.

Thanks everyone who replied.