PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for updating this old warhorse? Flat top 110 in .308 original stock

northernmaine67
11-03-2013, 11:36 AM
I recently purchased this gun, and I would appreciate some insights and suggestions for upgrades. The Fxxxxxx serial number places this in the 1989-1995 build range. It is .308 with a staggered feed blind magazine. There were no iron sights on the gun, so I had my local gunsmith supply some plug screws to fill the holes. I removed the factory butt plate and installed a Limb Saver slip on that did not interfere with the sling mount. I had the Kwik Site scope mounts that are pictured on the gun. I want to get a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 with BDC to fill them.

I do not have a manual for this, I would like one....any ideas where I could find it?

Aftermarket stocks, is it worth a change to a full bedded one vs Pillar? I see plenty of pretty stocks that would improve the looks for under 100 bucks but they have no bedding.

Note the bolt lugs in my pics, the rear one has an extension that I don't see on other rifles except for the heavier calibers like .338 Lapua. Is this just old school building them to last or has my gun been altered/repaired at some point?

I also would like to polish the whole bolt assembly up so it looks a little nicer, suggestions on how? I plan on replacing the bolt handle too.

If there are any parts that would benefit from an upgrade like extractor springs or some other parts please let me know? It doesn't have an accu-trigger, but it is quite smooth and well broken in so I don't plan on changing it.

Pictures:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/maineiac1967/Savage1101_zpse25b39f1.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/maineiac1967/media/Savage1101_zpse25b39f1.jpg.html)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/maineiac1967/Savage1102_zps1b69562f.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/maineiac1967/media/Savage1102_zps1b69562f.jpg.html)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/maineiac1967/Savage1105_zpsd717e080.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/maineiac1967/media/Savage1105_zpsd717e080.jpg.html)

thomae
11-03-2013, 02:26 PM
A few thoughts:

1. The extended front bolt baffle is because you have a long (or intermediate...I am not sure) action rifle chambered for a short action cartridge. This "extension" allows you to only pull the bolt back as far as it needs to go.

2. With a long action rifle and those rings, you might not be able to get the Nikon scope you want to fit the rifle. You may not be able to move it rearward enough to have proper eye position. I have the same Nikon scope on a long action, and the only way i could get it to be positioned properly was to get a full length rail. I recommend the EGW rail and Burris Signature Zee rings for a lot of reasons, but you will certainly get other opinions.

3. As far as getting a new stock, your wood stock is perfectly stiff enough and more than adequate for many things. What do you want to do with it? I took an old stock like yours, and bedded it and for what I am using that particular rifle for (hunting) it is more than adequate and I can shoot less than MOA with it and my handloads. I would consider doing some more reading and pillar bedding it yourself, or with the help of some others on the forum. The experience of doing it yourself is priceless.

tt123
11-03-2013, 03:23 PM
I've got exactly the same rifle! I agree with thomae that the action length and two piece bases limits your options on the scope front.
With the scope I'm planning on putting on mine I have no possibility of changing the eye relief at all. To get it to fit the bases I have the rings right out as far as they can go.

I'll be interested to see what you end up doing with it, you might inspire me!

Regards
Jeff

Silvercrow1
11-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Northernmaine67- I too have a similar vintage rifle; 110 Long Action .223, heavy barrel (24") 1:14 (!) twist. I absolutely love it!! Bought used it came with a Tupperware stock- that I messed up doing a pillar bed on. Bought a Boyds stock for it from a fellow member. There are pics in this forum of it, probably going back to June or July.

Shoots in the mid to high .3's consistently at 100 yards- am anxious to get to a range with more distance to stretch her out a bit.

Personally I like the stock you have on your gun. I like WOOD! :thumb:

The scope you have chosen is one of my favorites! Some folks don't like Nikon, but dollar for dollar I think they are excellent. I just upgraded slightly to a Nikon Buckmasters mildot 4.5-14x40 which I am enthusiastic (to say the least) over! Also have a Prostaff Rimfire 150 on my MKII .22LR. Again- love it!

Anyway- let us know how you are progressing with your rifle!

ALSO- I spent three LOOONG years in Limestone at Loring Air Force Base. Loved the people and the countryside=HATED the cold and snow. (A downeaster told me one time "We have two seasons up heah..Wintah an' Jew-Lie!") LOL One of my fondest memories is hunting the allagash with my neighbor. Breath taking views, unspoiled landscape; it was like living something out of an "Outdoors" magazine!

Where abouts are you in Maine?

Brian

northernmaine67
11-07-2013, 04:53 PM
hi Brian. I am right near limestone, in the town of caribou. I would really like to see pictures of your rifle with the new stock.I will be scoping my rifle around the 14th of the month and then going out and Sighting it. if I have to get new mounts then it will have to wait for the next weekend.

stangfish
11-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Northern, I agree with everything Thomae had to say. I did not take the time to read the other posts, but I think you have a walnut stock there. You might have a work of art hiding behind that factory finish. Bed that and if you feel froggy, leap on a refinish job to bring out the beauty of that wood. Another good thing about that rifle is you can have one of several short and long action calibers with as little as a barrel change and/or a baffle and mag swap if I am not mistaken.

Silvercrow1
11-07-2013, 11:11 PM
hi Brian. I am right near limestone, in the town of caribou. I would really like to see pictures of your rifle with the new stock.I will be scoping my rifle around the 14th of the month and then going out and Sighting it. if I have to get new mounts then it will have to wait for the next weekend.

If you PM me your e-mail I'd be happy to send you some. Got before and after pictures, etc.

I lived in Limestone outside the "East Gate" of the base- bought a house trailer (can you say BRRRR?) and stayed there until I came back to Pa. in 1983. Married and divorced a "local" gal, spent a lot of time in the pawn shop in Caribou perusing guns and guitars. Small world!
I'm an Army vet. too- stationed on an air base my last end of my hitch. Brian

jonbearman
11-08-2013, 01:46 AM
What your stock is,is maple or likely birch.Both will be fine for hunting or informal target shooting.I would bed it at least.There is a tutorial either on this site or accurate shooter forum.Also start watching the you tube tutorials about upgrading your rifle.The first thing I would do is lightly polish or bead blast the bolt and parts like the baffle,do not blast the lug surface where it contacts the abutments,do not blast the cocking ramp at the back of the bolt.Polishing ,you would have to really get on it and you could remove to much.A good gunsmith could do some of this for you.I would buy a mcgowen pre-fit or the criterion.The mcgowen will ship it in just a couple days,see their advertisement at the top of the page. If you change the barrel you will need a reciver wrench,barrel nut wrench and a go gage.You can do this yourself and it is fairly easy.You will also need a bedding kit like marine tex(my favorite) from brownell's.I would suggest a rifle basix sav-2 trigger over the timney,much more advanced IMHO.The egw rail is best suited for mounting your scope as well as burris signatur zee rings with the plastic insert's as the OP said.I would go with either the 7mm wsm or 300 wsm cartridge,easy to tune if you reload and very accurate in my opinion.