PDA

View Full Version : First Build

OLEJOE
11-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Just finishing up on my first build. Got a Shilen 30-06 Match Barrel, a squared nut, an SSS recoil lug, and a new trigger spring, all from Northland. This is the first time I've attempted this on a Savage rifle but it was pretty easy. The hardest thing was removing the smooth barrel nut, but once it was off the rest was easy. I put a little anti-seize on the barrel, nut, and action. Was this the thing to do ? I also headspaced it with a fired case I resized in my FL die and filled with epoxy and let dry. It will chamber with 1 layer of scotch tape but is pretty hard. Bolt will not close on 2 layers of tape at all. Does this sound about right ? Also how much torque is needed on the barrel nut ? Thanks to all. Without this Forum I might have never tried it. Everybody look south. Gonna light it up tomorrow possibly.

CharlieNC
11-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Sounds right Joe. You can double check headspace by measuring length of an empty case, insert fired primer and bolt it in, remeasure length. The difference is HS and should be close to .003. Firmly tighten the barrel nut by hand using your wrench, no extra leverage neded.

OLEJOE
11-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Rifleshooter308
11-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Torque is not an issue. Savage torques the crap out of them bit you really only need to snug it up. The bolt does not hold the barrel on it just sets the head space. Switch barrel bench rest shooters finger tighten them. I set headspace the tighten a quarter turn more.

OLEJOE
11-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Well, I fired my first round and head space is a little on the tight side but loaded ammo (Win.) chambered ok. Ran fired case through FL die after I smoked the neck and it is sizing it to just short of where the shoulder starts. I'm still unhurt so I must have got it right. Can't wait to get it to the range and see how it groups. Opening up the barrel channel in the stock was a piece of cake. Used one of those little small grinding stones that goes in a 1/4" drill and a rechargeable drill. The stone was just shy of 1" in dia. and worked great. Thanks again for all the help. Would it be possible to head space a barrel by measuring the amount of case protruding out of the barrel and the amount of back set in the bolt and insert the proper thickness shim between the two and screw the barrel in til there is no clearance ?

OLEJOE
11-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Sounds right Joe. You can double check headspace by measuring length of an empty case, insert fired primer and bolt it in, remeasure length. The difference is HS and should be close to .003. Firmly tighten the barrel nut by hand using your wrench, no extra leverage neded.

Got about 2.5 thou