PDA

View Full Version : Books

cjfish
11-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Hello guys and gals I'm new to the long range stuff and really wanting to learn as much as I can. I was wondering what are some of the books I should read up on? I'm staring with a 11 trophy hunter really liking it so far. I plan on restocking it in the summer and working on load developed, just need to get through hinting season here in MI.
Thanks in advance.

rinodods
11-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Hello guys and gals I'm new to the long range stuff and really wanting to learn as much as I can. I was wondering what are some of the books I should read up on? I'm staring with a 11 trophy hunter really liking it so far. I plan on restocking it in the summer and working on load developed, just need to get through hinting season here in MI.
Thanks in advance.

First stop is looking up a guy named Brian Litz. If you want to understand long range he is your man. Nightforce also has a decent one called Fundamentals of Long Distance Shooting by Ralph T. Hicks. It isn't bad and maybe a little easier to read but Mr. Litz has all that info and much more for you and his stuff is also written so that you don't have to be a ballistics master to get it. I'd hit Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting first then maybe the DVD set. They did a really good job with those and showing how the info gets applied in the field. If you want some decent articles to cover in the mean time check out longrangehunting.com. You'll find a lot of very good info there to cut your teeth on. Its gonna be a fun ride!!

http://store.appliedballisticsllc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ABFLRS2nd

https://store.appliedballisticsllc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AP

https://store.appliedballisticsllc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ABDVD1

stangfish
11-03-2013, 01:20 AM
A subscription to brand X instructional videos
Sent you a pm.

rgburrill
11-04-2013, 10:31 AM
You could also view the Sniper 101 videos on youtube. His basic concept is how to hit a target at 1000 yards with one shot. The best thing is they are free except they take a lot of your time. There are something like 30 of them.

JCalhoun
11-07-2013, 12:02 AM
cj,

Are you wanting to shoot casually, varminting, or competitions? How far do you consider long range?

cjfish
11-07-2013, 12:33 AM
JCalhoun,
I'm looking for just casual shooting and hunting. I do seem to shoot more now that I picked up my m11 .308. I only have access to a 200 yd range as of now. More just wanting the knowledge. I would like to shoot a comp here or there for fun but who knows might get bit by the bug. It woukd be nice to be able yo shoot out to 500yds with confidence. I plan on building a rifle one day just waiting for my money tree to grow. Haha.
Thanks for the replies everyone I'm really glad I found this site. There some much to learn.

rinodods
11-07-2013, 11:48 PM
You'll have a lot of fun with it when you get the chance to stretch things out. I grew up only being able to really practice at around 200 yards. That seemed like a long shot. Now I almost laugh. After moving out to Colorado I've gotten the chances to shoot just about as far as my equipment will take me. So far the longest repeated success has been from 3/4 mile. I haven't tried any further. It is amazing what you get used to with a little trigger time and getting to know your weapon as well as load. There is a lot of really great info out there and even if you aren't going to get the chance to shoot real long soon starting to pick up the knowledge is a great idea. Ballistics really is a very interesting topic.

JCalhoun
11-08-2013, 06:35 PM
cj,

You may want to check out Precision Shooting magazine.

cjfish
11-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks everyone it looks like I have a lot of reading yo do.

yobuck
11-11-2013, 08:14 PM
i think precision shooting stopped printing the magazine? on line only?
best way to learn to fish is go fishing. better yet go with a good fisherman.
id be looking for a place to shoot distance. a mentor will show up. in fact
many might show up. but you will know the right one.