PDA

View Full Version : Stevens Bedding

possum1
02-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Don't know if this will help anyone or not. Had been waiting to get some Devcon so I could bed my stock. Got tired of waiting and went to the local Napa to see what they had available. Noticed some stuff on the counter that was called Magnum steel, also it said it could be drilled and tapped. My opinion was that if it was strong enough for this it would possibly be used for bedding. On the first try I waited too long to put the action into the stock and the stuff set up too quick, on the second try everything went well. After this got to looking at the package and noticed it was made by VersaChem, a division of Devcon. Called Devcon and started asking Question's and it's the same thing as the steel putty except made for the retail consuming public. I'm not saying it's better than Steel Putty just easier to get hold of and less expensive and it worked for me. BTW- it took care of that one flyer I was alway's getting ;D http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af311/possum6/epoxys/MagnumSteel.jpg

docsleepy
02-23-2010, 10:13 PM
thanks for the note! I googled "devcon" when I needed some and was able to get it from somewhere. I think you have proven that the company WANTS to make it easy to find, so they sell it lots of ways! Good old capitalism.
gordon

Hylander
02-23-2010, 10:29 PM
What is the consistancy of that stuff.
Looks like it would be pretty stiff like Clay

possum1
02-23-2010, 11:18 PM
when you follow directions, knead 30-60 sec., it is like play-dough. longer you knead stiffer it gets. I liked the texture because it stayed in place and adhered to the plastic well, also you could tell exactly how much to use without a lot of runout.

DGD6MM
02-24-2010, 11:14 AM
What was the room temperature? We've had to work fast down in S.Florida in the shop in the summertime

possum1
02-24-2010, 07:25 PM
air temperature averages around 65* F. I do all my gun work in the basement. The reason my first try didn't turn out, I went upstairs to wash my hands " didn't have time to do that". I would like someone to try this product that has experience in bedding as this was my first try at it, product is cheap enough at $4.95 for 2oz. enough to do 2 Stevens at least. The finished product looks identical to Devcon.

docsleepy
02-24-2010, 11:06 PM
keep a bowl of vinegar at the ready. It stops the epoxy on your hands and is far far faster to clean your hands than anything else.
gordon

possum1
02-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Thank's Gorden, hard to work with those glove's on :D