PDA

View Full Version : Clamp on Muzzle Break

Pages : [1] 2

wlleven
11-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Well I have an 10FP with a 24 inch barrel that does not have a Muzzle Break on it .... that's not going to last long ;- )

Was wondering if any of you have put on clamp on breaks:
1) do they work well
2) do they come off when you shoot !

Who make the best looking one that hold on tight, all the ones I have seen are pretty ugly.

The reason I ask is I don't want to send my gun off and get it back in 4-8 weeks, depending on the smith. My local smith does not have a machine shop.

wll

LoneWolf
11-01-2013, 03:36 PM
This questions has been brought up a few times. People have had good experiences and bad! I have a friend on the forums that had gotten one of the kahntrol breaks and they shipped him the wrong one. It blew off the end of his barrel and left some permanent damage to the end of the muzzle. I think they sent him another one, but I don't know if he still uses it.

Personnaly, I wouldn't run a clamp on on anything larger than the 223 family. Preferably, I would have the barrel threaded. That's me personally though.

J.Baker
11-01-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone all the sudden thinks they need a muzzle brake. Apparently it's the new "in thing" or something. And if you're going to get a brake, do it right and get the barrel threaded to install one properly. I don't know who started this clamp-on crap but they should be subjected to a full frontal lobotomy because sooner or later some moron is going to get seriously injured or killed because they muffed up the install.

wlleven
11-01-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone all the sudden thinks they need a muzzle brake. Apparently it's the new "in thing" or something. And if you're going to get a brake, do it right and get the barrel threaded to install one properly. I don't know who started this clamp-on crap but they should be subjected to a full frontal lobotomy because sooner or later some moron is going to get seriously injured or killed because they muffed up the install.

I'm not enamored with a clamp on break, just asked a question. Yes, a threaded break is much much better and safer for sure !

As for muzzle break use, I'm opting for the use in some of my guns because of the amount of shooting I have done in the past and have bad neck and shoulder issues. All my over and under shotguns on the other hand have collapsible piston stocks ...can't do that with a scoped rifle unless you want to have a scope smashed through your skull on recoil.

Yes, muzzle breaks are noisy as heck and in general I'm not a fan, unless I want to shoot more than 20 rounds in a sitting. The fact that my Cooley break makes my 308 feel like a 223 is a big advantage to me. The fact that I can just sit and slowly squeeze the trigger without worrying about shoulder pain makes shooting pleasurable again.

That is why I have one on my Savage 308 10FP-SR, Savage308 Hog Hunter and will also get my Savage 308 HS Precision stocked Tactical rifle threaded for a Cooley. I very well may have one installed on my Ruger 35 Whelen.

wll

bootsmcguire
11-02-2013, 12:11 AM
Clamp-on brakes are a bad idea IMO. Threaded is the way to go. Get ahold of Devin at Sinarms (www.sin-arms.com IIRC) and see when he could get you in for threading. Normally his wait times are low and pretty quick return and top notch work.

I guess I am wondering why if someone wants a brake on a rifle what does it hurt? As long as a shooter is respectful of other shooters at the range when using one I don't see the problem. I put a radial type brake on my 26" Varmint 204 Ruger barrel, why? Because I could and I wanted to see if how much of a difference it made, and since I made my own brake and threaded it myself cost was not an issue.

Me personally I would rather see people putting brakes on as the "In thing" rather than worrying about 20 round mags on a bolt gun as the "In thing" cuz at least to me the brake provides the benefit of recoil reduction, but that's another topic all together.

Sorry for the derail:
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx111/bootsmcguire/ICONS%20and%20Forum%20Stuff/focus.gif (http://s747.photobucket.com/user/bootsmcguire/media/ICONS%20and%20Forum%20Stuff/focus.gif.html)

snowgetter1
11-02-2013, 01:16 AM
For the price and risk of a slip on I would avoid it. I use Ross Schuler's brakes. Send him the barrel with the top marked and it will be back at your door in 2-3 weeks ready to go.
http://home.comcast.net/~MOA_Shooters/RossMuzzleBrakes.htm

Neo2savage
11-02-2013, 01:33 AM
As for muzzle break use, I'm opting for the use in some of my guns because of the amount of shooting I have done in the past and have bad neck and shoulder issues. All my over and under shotguns on the other hand have collapsible piston stocks ...can't do that with a scoped rifle unless you want to have a scope smashed through your skull on recoil.

wll

Actually, if you have the right kind of rifle, you can. There are several companies that make after market furniture with recoil capabilities. Blackhawk is one, and there are a couple of others. I have a 308 in a Blackhawk stock, probably quite similar to some of the shotgun recoil stocks you are familiar with. That stock reduces the recoil of the .308 to just slightly more than a 5.56 AR type stock. On a par with a 6.5. short action. The amount of stock travel is not all that much, and avoiding scope eye is not more difficult than setting up your scope with the proper eye relief. Look around to see if there's something out there that would do the job and suit your liking. I don't have bad shoulders but I can't see any reason to beat myself up if I don't have to.

Personally I like muzzle brakes as long as I'm not right next to one at the range. Behind it ok but not next to it. Set up right they do a great job but I do wonder why so many with light recoil single shot rifles are using them. The folks fast shooting AR's I can understand because it helps hold the barrel down. The clamp on thing troubles me for several reasons.

J.Baker
11-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Actually, I think a big factor in the recent muzzle brake craze is the fact that so many factory guns are now equipped with threaded barrels to accept a suppressor. Most can't/won't/don't want to pony up the big bucks to buy a suppressor and/or don't want to go through the hassle and wait to do the tax stamp for one, so instead they go the complete opposite direction and put a brake on it just so they're making use of the threads.

I don't have a problem with brakes so long as you're not shooting the dang thing off right next to me. In fact, my first AR15 was threaded and fitted with one of Fred's brakes though I rarely ever used it because it was kind of pointless to me on a .223 gas gun with no recoil or muzzle rise to begin with.

Most people buy a brake for the recoil reduction when in fact the same results can be achieved with today's reduced-recoil factory ammo or reduced charge handloads. However, I think lately more and more new shooters or "less informed" shooters have been buying them because their barrel is pre-threaded and "they just look cool".

In a day and age where more and more shooting ranges are being closed down due to noise complaints resulting from urban sprawl, the last thing we need is more and more rifles fitted with obnoxiously loud brakes frequenting these ranges to make matters worse. I live approximately seven-tenths of a mile (as the crow flies) from my local range, and as you can see in the aerial below there's plenty of trees and structure between my house and the range to block out most of the noise. The only time I can ever hear any shooting while sitting on my back patio is when someone has a brake on their rifle or is shooting a large caliber handgun that has a compensator or has been ported.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/RangeMap.jpg

GeorgeS
11-02-2013, 02:50 PM
See http://wittmachine.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180

George

stangfish
11-02-2013, 03:18 PM
I have a Witt machine brake. I wont even sell it due to the fact I would have to list it as a brake. I would guess 10-15% recoil reduction on a 300wm. A guy I shoot Fclass with is on the local swat sniper team, he convinced me that a good suppressor is the best of both worlds.

LoneWolf
11-02-2013, 03:31 PM
A guy I shoot Fclass with is on the local swat sniper team, he convinced me that a good suppressor is the best of both worlds.

+1 that's because it is!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

223 4 me
11-02-2013, 06:09 PM
I too have a Witt Machine clamp on break on my Stevens 200 30.06. I have experienced a slightly better result than stangfish, I would estimate the reduction of recoil in the 40-50% range. It was a cheaper and faster alternative to having the barrel threaded. Before I bought the break after 10 rounds my groups opened up considerably "clearly I was flinching" with the Witt break I can run 2 boxes through the rifle in the 1 inch ring. I love it.

bootsmcguire
11-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Jim I would agree that the factory issued threaded barrels are increasing the demand for brakes probably for the reasons you described. If I lived in a Suppressor legal state I would most definitely be using one of those instead gaining the noise reduction and recoil reduction. It is just a better system for all involved, shooter and bystanders, but they say I can't have one so....

geargrinder
11-03-2013, 12:41 PM
For the price and risk of a slip on I would avoid it. I use Ross Schuler's brakes. Send him the barrel with the top marked and it will be back at your door in 2-3 weeks ready to go.
http://home.comcast.net/~MOA_Shooters/RossMuzzleBrakes.htm

+1,000,000

Fantastic work and incredibly fast turnaround.

wlleven
11-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Well I'm going to put on a threaded break after seeing what you guys are saying and what folks at the range have said ... no body trust them.

wll

Rifleshooter308
11-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Long range shooters don't use brakes for recoil reduction. How bad is a .308? We use them to reduce muzzle rise so you can stay on your target and see the hits. The difference is dramatic at longer ranges. At 1000 yards I can see all my hits with the brake on my .308. With it off the rifle jumps enough so I can't get back on it to see the hit. Even with a 223 a brake helps with precision work especially for quick follow up shots.

GeorgeS
11-03-2013, 05:13 PM
At 1000 yards I can see all my hits with the brake on my .308. With it off the rifle jumps enough so I can't get back on it to see the hit.

What scope does your rifle wear that you can .308" holes appear on a target 1000yds. away?

George

kdvarmint
11-16-2013, 07:51 PM
What scope does your rifle wear that you can .308" holes appear on a target 1000yds. away?

George

He said hits. I'm thinkin silhouettes.

I'm considering one of Witts.
http://wittmachine.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=180

jonbearman
11-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Physics says energy can neither be created nor destroyed and a muzzle brake does not make it louder altogether.It makes it louder by the shooter.I will bet I could shoot ten rifles and one with a break and you could not pick out which one had a brake.If the noise is annoying then maybe you should relocate to a quieter place.I live near a range and the noise is music to my ears.I am not putting anyone down ,I am just pointing out that it is a myth that ,overall a gun with a break, is no louder downrange than any other gun unless you are at the bench.I wear real good ear protection and have fired everything from a .218 bee to the barrett 50 bmg with a break and it doesnt annoy me or anyone else at our club. I would not shoot any high intensity cartridge without a break.My best friend has a 35WSM wildcat and without the brake it is punishing,with the brake,it is a joy to shoot.

kdvarmint
11-17-2013, 09:40 AM
it doesnt annoy me or anyone else at our club.

First of all, you can only speak for yourself. As for myself, I do not like at all to shoot next to someone with a brake at a match. But I do tolerate it, as it is within the rules, and I respect others right to use what they choose. Just because folks hold their peace doesn't mean they're all in favor.

I agree though that it does not make it louder overall. Just changes the direction of the blast which is much more noticeable to all around. And also the percussion is felt by the guy next to you. Not a big deal, but it does have an affect in a relay.

Not to argue my friend, just my thoughts. I'm sure we could spend an enjoyable day at the range together.