PDA

View Full Version : Help with scope?????

ckoceja4
11-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Hello I just recently got a savage 111 30-06, i don't like the Simmons scope on it really and not sure what to get...I looked at nikon and Leupold but don't want to spend more than 300 on a scope. Any suggestions?

LoneWolf
11-01-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm enjoying my SWFA SS 10x42 on my 308. Others have recently been running some of the Primary Arms scopes. I think the SWFA scopes offer a lot for the money, but the primary arms may fit your budget better. Go check them out.

ckoceja4
11-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Thank you for the info, should I go ahead and get the scope mount rings with it too? I've heard that the stock ones on the savages aren't the greatest

LoneWolf
11-01-2013, 12:42 PM
If you want to use a quality scope correctly, you definitely need some quality rings. Also make sure if the scope has a 1" tube you need 1" rings or a 30mm tube requires 30mm rings.

Which one are you considering?

wbm
11-01-2013, 02:02 PM
The Redfield line is getting a lot of good reviews so you might consider one of those. I like the Revenge I have very much.

William
11-01-2013, 02:31 PM
What don't you like about the Simmons?
What would you like in a scope?

sniper15545
11-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Are you using for hunting? If so I really like the Burris fullfield II Line for a cheaper scope when I'm not purchasing the Leupold.

big honkin jeep
11-01-2013, 04:56 PM
I have bought a few of the newer offerings in the last couple of years. I have been really impressed with the Burris E1s. In my opinion probably the best thing going under $300 and better than many that cost much more.. I like the Redfield Revolution as well but it does not have nearly as many desirable features as the Burris E1. I wound up with 1 Revolution 3-9x50 with accurange.(bought it first) and 3 E1s 2- 3-9x50s and 1 3-9x40. Each of the E1s has passed the box test at 100 yards and returns exactly to zero repeatedly. Love em

ckoceja4
11-01-2013, 05:32 PM
I have been looking at all of the ones you all have been saying and I will be using it for hunting and the Simmons scope that is already on it seems cheap to me, it's not bad for now but I am wanting to get somethkng new, does anybody like the Nikon? With the spot on advantage?

wbm
11-01-2013, 07:01 PM
The Nikon ProStaff 5 with BDC is one of the best scopes I have ever bought for that price range . The Spot-On is a great tool and has been accurate each time I have used it.

hcpyro13
11-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Minox has a few well priced scopes with very clear glass for the $250-$300 price range.

n4ue
11-01-2013, 10:11 PM
ck, man, have you opened a 'can of worms' here! ha ha
I collect scopes, and have several for each rifle I own, mostly Savage rifles, 'cause I luv them!!

Don't go to the local 'big box' stores and play with the scopes on display. In-store comparisons won't tell you much. Go to the site sponsors and other large sellers and read every review you can. Using these 'reviews' as a baseline, buy what is in your budget. Mainly, ask if the seller has a 'return policy'.
It will take you several purchases (and maybe returns) to see what you like. Everyone has opinions about scopes, some take it personal.
I just want my scopes to suit me. Having said that, the 'best' route would be to visit a local shoot and peek through what the 'other guys' use and like.
There are NO hard and fast rules about optics. However, after a LOT of scopes, I can honestly say:
You DO what you pay for, with optics.

Yes, there are exceptions, both + and -. Been there, still own them.... ha ha
I have been happily surprised by some 'budget' optics and disappointed by some 'big name' scopes as well..........I punch paper and am easy on my stuff...... So take 'that' FWIW.

There 'appears' to be a quality 'jump' at the $250 level, and again at $500, but it does taper off. It is NOT a linear progression...

PM me if you want my 'opinion' as my scope count reaches 40.....

ron