PDA

View Full Version : large shank action issues

AKArcherdaddy
02-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Dang! I just found out that the stainless center feed Savage action my father-in-law (who isn't very versed in Savage stuff) bought for me is a "large shank" short action. Since I never got to see the action, and since it was a short action with a .473 bolt head, I never even thought to ask if it was a large shank or not.

I already have a Bell and Carlson Medalist tactical stock at home, and I also ordered a small shank barrel for this build about two weeks ago. And now I find out the action is a large shank action! Am I right in assuming the large shank action/barrel won't fit in the B&C stock either? As far as I know Bell and Carlson doesn't even make a stock that fits a large shank Savage action. Am I right about that?

I'm thinking that since I already have a stock at home and a small shank barrel on order, my best option would be to sell the large shank action and try to find a small shank short action ASAP. Are there other options that I'm not considering? What would you do?

Thanks!

deadeye
02-22-2010, 09:34 PM
The outside dimensions of the large shank action is the same as the small - so is the nut.

There is no reason it wouldn't drop right in.

The only trouble I see is you have a small shank barrel coming.

If it isn't too late - contact and see if you can switch the order to a large shank and you are good to go.

AKArcherdaddy
02-22-2010, 09:41 PM
The stock I have will fit? Now that is good news! I didn't realize that the outside diameter was the same. Hopefully they haven't gotten around to turning down the shank of my barrel yet. They did say 6-8 weeks until delivery.

Are there any other issues that I will have to deal with with a large shank? For example, are the action screws the same length? Any reason a large shank wouldn't shoot as well as a small shank? I guess the barrel will end up a bit heavier. I guess i can live with that.

Fjold
02-22-2010, 09:43 PM
The stock I have will fit? Now that is good news! I didn't realize that the outside diameter was the same. Hopefully they haven't gotten around to turning down the shank of my barrel yet. They did say 6-8 weeks until delivery.

Are there any other issues that I will have to deal with with a large shank? For example, are the action screws the same length? Any reason a large shank wouldn't shoot as well as a small shank? I guess the barrel will end up a bit heavier. I guess i can live with that.

No issues, I have a large shank action in an aftermarket stock, everything except the inside thread diameter of the front ring is the same. Call you barrel maker and get him to thread it for the large shank and you're good to go.

stumpjumper400
02-24-2010, 09:23 AM
The only problem I had when using a large shank was the scope base screws. What they don't tell you is there is less material from the barrel threads to the outside of the action. This made my front screws for the base that I was using too long. I just had to trim them down and dress them up a bit. It may or may not be the same for your bases, this was just my experience.

Steve

Blue Avenger
02-24-2010, 10:45 AM
you will also have to find a large nut.

Question, your receiver push feed or controlled round feed? (ejector button in the bolt head or slot in the bolt head wit a n ejector attached to the back side of the receiver?)