PDA

View Full Version : Question on Target Action From Savage Newbie

rdog52
10-31-2013, 08:36 PM
Please explain to me the advantages of a target action over a standard 10/110 small shank action (besides the convenience of a right bolt / left port). I am wanting to build a rifle that I can start shooting in F Class T/R. Accuracy advantage? Because it is a large shank it has the ability to support a longer (like 30") tube? I'm all ears and thanks in advance for your comments.

stangfish
10-31-2013, 09:24 PM
The action is more ridged due to the amount of material that is retained in the machining process. The standard actions have about 70% of the material removed between the front and rear of the action. The target action also comes with a trigger that can be adjusted safely to a lower setting than the standard Accutrigger. It is possible to shoot and compete in F/TR with a standard action and a quality stock. Trust me on that. So unless you just have to go all out. Get build yourself a rifle and go have fun. You will find that your personal form and reloading abilities are much more important than the brand of action you use. well unless you want to shoot 600 with 60x's.

jhelmuth
10-31-2013, 09:50 PM
F/TR rules only permit single shot. So you will need to make sure your rifle is used in that configuration. I'm reasonably certain that single shot folowers (and / or other similar mods) will qualify a rifle, so I do not expect that your club (or the one you will be shooting at) will require a single shot only type action. I'd even go so far as to guess that a "promise" to not shoot with mags will also work (but not sure about that and YMMV depending on the host club).

+1 on stangfish's commentary. I have a single shot for F/TR in .223 (short range) and a CF Target Action in .308 (short and long range), but the non-Target actions would do just fine and I'd pay way more attention to the bolt (Timed and Trued) and Stock (my fav is the HS Precision) before anything to do with the action type.

stangfish
11-01-2013, 12:11 AM
I never thought about the single load being a question, but it makes sense. There is never a problem in F/TR as Tactical Rifles have detachable magazines. It is real easy to tell if someone is breaking the rules. Since there are 20 shots plus sighters in each leg, a change of a magazine would draw a lot of attention. Keep you magazine in and drop one in the ejection port and close the bolt, eject and repeat. More than likely range/match rules state pull the mag when your done at the line for safety.

rdog52
11-01-2013, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the replies, stangfish and jhelmuth. The action I was/am going to use has been timed and trued by SSS and I have their single shot adapter. I just was wondering if I am paying an accuracy penalty by not using a target action.

jhelmuth - which HS Precision stock is it that you like?

jhelmuth
11-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Either are great (I believe they are known by 108 and 104 model numbers?) - that is, they have 2 (3 - 4 if you count DBM variations) one which is a more typical F/TR style and a Tactical(/Tacticool) style. I don't think you can miss with either one....

rdog52
11-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the info, jhelmuth. I looked at them and I like. I think it would work well for me in F T/R. Do you bed the stock or is the aluminum bedding block just fine the way it is?

kschilling
11-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Rdog,
Stangfish and Jhelmuth have you going in the right direction. As a NRA Mid Range F Class Match Director / RSO, I can assure you that all F Class (Approved / Sanctioned) matches require the rifle to be loaded with one round at a time, regardless of the rifle's capability to hold more ammo. Your mag doesn't have to be dropped nor do you have to modify a mag to only function in single action mode. Keep in mind, T/R stands for Target Rifle, not Tactical Rifle. The area where I correct more competitors is with the lack of use of a ECI (Empty Chamber Indicator). Simply make it part of the rifle and you'll never be wrong.

As for the difference between the actions? I'll run my non-target actions up against the target actions all day long......as will most folks.

Ken

Dennis
11-12-2013, 01:24 AM
As for the difference between the actions? I'll run my non-target actions up against the target actions all day long......as will most folks.

I also shoot both actions and agree with the above. I also use a standard magnum long action for my 338 Edge rifle. I have no problems at all.

I also have three Precision Target Actions trued and timed by SSS, Evolutions triggers, and I would put them against the best in the business. 6BRX for F Open, 308 for F/TR, and a 284 Winchester for 1k yards or F Open very windy days.

rdog52
11-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the replies and answers. I appreciate the help!