PDA

View Full Version : Heading to the range with my new Savage rifles

mag41vance
10-31-2013, 05:28 AM
I have 2 new Model 11 rifles in 7mm 08 and a 308 WCF
I have Prvi Partizan Ammunition to test in the 708, and proven reloads from my previous Sniper rifle for the .308
I am a reloader, but the Prvi Partizan Ammunition was at a price point that I wanted to give it a look.

I will report my results.

mag41vance
10-31-2013, 06:35 PM
My Reloads for the .308 both grouped under 1 " @ 100 yds

The PPU ammo for the 708 was inconsistent as far as the chamberlain, Some required more oomph to close the bolt.
I can't really report any grouping for it as I spent more time sorting through the ones that chambered properly.
I plan on running the tight fitting rounds through my redding 7mm08 body die to bump back the shoulder to the same measurement on all the rounds then give them another try.
You get what you pay for at $18.00 a box

thomae
11-01-2013, 08:46 AM
My Reloads for the .308 both grouped under 1 " @ 100 yds

The PPU ammo for the 708 was inconsistent as far as the chamberlain, Some required more oomph to close the bolt.
I can't really report any grouping for it as I spent more time sorting through the ones that chambered properly.
I plan on running the tight fitting rounds through my redding 7mm08 body die to bump back the shoulder to the same measurement on all the rounds then give them another try.
You get what you pay for at $18.00 a boxYour post was just a bit ambiguous, so I'd like to confirm that you are going to bump back the shoulder of the fired brass that was originally tight, and not try to bump the shoulder on loaded rounds.

Please don't my question as an insult, as I have no idea what your knowlege level is. Just trying to be safe.

mag41vance
11-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Your post was just a bit ambiguous, so I'd like to confirm that you are going to bump back the shoulder of the fired brass that was originally tight, and not try to bump the shoulder on loaded rounds.

Please don't my question as an insult, as I have no idea what your knowlege level is. Just trying to be safe.

No insult taken.

I will be running the lubed loaded rounds into the body die to bump the shoulders back. It's one of the reasons to have the body dies. I reload to very tight tolerances and it has been an invaluable tool over the years.
Sounds scary to those that don't understand what the process is. It is more dangerous to chamber loaded rounds in a firearm than to cycle them through a body die. That being said; Redding warns against the practice of sizing loaded ammo through a body die. :usa2:

mag41vance
11-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Got them all sized properly with the body die, and they all chamber very nicely with only the slightest feel of resistance in the bolt. I will head back to the range next week.

Remember; Redding does not recommend the process I have been using for many years. (liability)