PDA

View Full Version : 116 conversion build

Stick&String
10-31-2013, 12:36 AM
Hey guys and gals,
So I have a savage 116 chambered in .300 wm (pre accutrigger). I already have two .300 wm, a kimber montana 8400 for backpacking, and a Christensen arms for ranch hunting. So what I have been really wanting to do is turn my 116 into a long action 7mm-08.
I would like to get the following:
-Good lightweight stock
-Everything needed to replace current magazine with new components to make it feed smooth and reliable
-barrel
-Timney Trigger

My biggest concern comes with the stock and the magazine setup. I would like a blind magazine.

What are your recommendations for a top quality lightweight blind magazine stock and what do I need to buy for the magazine parts? I've never done this before so sorry if these are dumb questions

Thanks, nick

pdog06
10-31-2013, 07:58 AM
not dumb questions at all...

If you want a lightweight stock then go with a Manners. They are the lightest you will find. They are not cheap by any means, but well worth the money.

Then just go online and buy a 243/308 staggerfeed blind mag assembly and a .473 bolthead and youre good to go. Or, With a paid membership to this site and putting an ad in our classifieds, you will likely find someone to trade you parts(your mag hardware for their 243/308 hardware). I just did that exact thing about 3-4 months ago.

For a barrel, just look at one of our site sponsors that have pre fit barrels in stock and ready to ship(northlander, gunshack, etc).

For the trigger, you can buy timney triggers from many different places. SSS and Rifle Basix triggers are also good ones to use.

Check with Northland Shooters Supply. Jim may be able to get you everything you need to do the conversion. Just a call to him you will see that he will make sure you getting what you need. If he dont have it he will steer you in the correct direction.

Stick&String
10-31-2013, 11:09 PM
Thank you for all of the info! Very informative. Although it does bring up a new question. I looked up .308 mag box's for. Savage LA and can ONLY find 30-06 mag box's....
Any thoughts?

Thanks

bootsmcguire
10-31-2013, 11:51 PM
Does your magazine stay attached to the action when you remove the stock or does the mag stay inside the stock when the action is removed? If is stays on the action then you have a Staggerfeed setup, if it stays in the stock then you have a Centerfeeed setup.

Either way, the 30-06 length magazine will work just fine. When you load it just push the rounds to the rear of the mag. I have run 243, 308, 6.5x284, 450BM, and several other SA calibers in LA magazines and they work great, Especially in the Centerfeed style magazines.

Stick&String
11-01-2013, 12:16 AM
I was told "someone" makes a spacer to add to the 30-06 magazine so you don't have to worry about the round being pushed back all the way? Is that true? And if so, where can I purchase the proper spacer?

bootsmcguire
11-01-2013, 12:44 AM
Hmmm have not seen a spacer for sale, I know Savage used to use one in their 223 magazines. I believe theirs was sheet metal. You should be able to make one from plastic stock or wood perhaps and use a SA follower in a '06 mag body.

Personally I prefer the "push back" method, as I do this as a standard practice no matter the caliber or mag length. With the longer mag it allows you to seat the bullets out as far as you like with no worries of magazine interference.

Stick&String
11-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Thank you very much for the knowledge and prompt responses. Greatly appreciated. My goal is to build a Lite 7mm-08 with a short barrel (20"). I basically want it to be a comfortable shooting accurate, short and lite ranch gun for blacktail deer, hogs, and black bear. I think this is the ticket-

jonbearman
11-01-2013, 09:22 AM
If you want to shorten the bolt throw,use a .223 front baffle and shorten the thing to what length you need to for any clearance issue's.I build most of my guns on long actions and they work welll,even a 7.62x39mm in a long action.

pdog06
11-01-2013, 05:52 PM
The 7mm08 will feed from the 30-06 mag. Sorry about that.

Stick&String
11-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys. I spoke with Jim at northland, and you guys were right, very informative, and a very nice guy.
I pretty much have my plans laid out and very excited. I'm gtg.

What bullet do u guys recommend for 70% of shots around 50 yards and 30% @ 100-200 yards. On thin skinned blacktail deer, hogs, and black bears. It's the close shots I am worried about as I don't want major explosive reactions yet would like a good reliable hit them hard kind of bullet.
I was told the 120gr nosler ballistic tips are the way too go with the 7-08 but I've always known them to be very explosive. I thought about the 120 gr ttsx's but I ALWAYS shoot for "behind the shoulder" shots as meat is my first priority and I fear the ttsx's won't reliably expand and put them down as fast as I would hope. Then there is the 140gr accubond but not sure if it would be the best Bullet for the real close shots....

Thanks for the advice
Nick-

bootsmcguire
11-01-2013, 10:54 PM
The 120gr Seirra Spitzer is a good choice. I run them in my 7mm Rem Mag and they are tough enough to handle those speeds and yet give a good controlled expansion and penetration. I called and talk to Seirra and the bulletsmith there told me that they are very forgiving at will reliably operate in the 7-08 all the way to the 7 STW. He said they were his go to bullet for his 7-08 and his 7 STW and he had taken several Elk out west with them in the STW.

Take all that for what its worth, but I personally run them in my 7RM and they are very accurate (less than 1/2 MOA) and reliable.