PDA

View Full Version : Centerpoint??

DMaldonado93
10-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Just curious to see if anybody can relate by experience if it is worth buying as a cheap optic? From a few quick searches online they seem like a solid brand for the price not too many bad reviews on all of their scopes. I plan on mounting it to an Axis SR .308 im picking up tomorrow and i need a cheap optic to go shooting this weekend. It seems CenterPoint is worth the money to me so any input on it would be appreciated.

Ackevor
10-30-2013, 08:18 PM
I have direct experience with three centerpoint scopes from walmart. I can honestly say they get the job done. They work reasonably well and the optics are decent. However! After I got a real quality scope there are major differences in quality. Turrets for example are probably the most important aspect of every scope. The turrets on two models (they changed turret design), of my Centerpoints are soft and arent very positive as far as the soliditiy of the clicks. The Vortex I have showed me what real good clicks and tracking is all about. I will say this, I have a centerpoint 4-16x50 on a 223, 22lr and used to have it on my 30-06. I used it on my -06 for several years as a hunting scope and it worked fine. On my 223 (Varmint Superbull AR), I used it for longer range varminting. I once got a group at 300 yards at .77".... once, the worst case was 3.08" so it shoots 1 MOA with that scope on it using progressive press reloads. If I replace the scope will they get better? I dunno, If I make match ammo will it get better? most likely.

In closing, I think its safe to say for a "cheap optics to go shooting this weekend" it will most definitely fit the bill. Just dont expect it to track out to 600 yards and back to your 100 yard zero. Also, if you get it at walmart and you dont like it, YOU CAN TAKE IT BACK!!!

Just noticed your 2 hours south of me. If you are feeling froggy sometime let me know and we can meet up sometime to shoot with a couple Army buds of mine.

RP12
10-30-2013, 08:25 PM
I had one of the older models. It worked great. The only reason I replaced it was the reticle was to thick for my liking. I liked everything else about it though.

Ackevor
10-30-2013, 08:59 PM
I gotta say, I wish they kept the older style tactical turrets. The new ones with caps arent as nice having to take the caps off. The lockring on the tactical ones was a genius idea for such a cheap scope, it stays real solid when its locked down.

DanSavage
11-02-2013, 01:01 AM
I have the old style Centerpoint 4-16X and it is a very good scope in my opinion. The cross hair is not real fine but it has enabled me to achieve groups under 1/2 MOA. Mine tracks very good and returns to zero at 100 yards after 40 round match's fired at 300 yards. I own a Nightforce NXS 8-32, and have looked through Sightron as well as Leupold numerous times and the glass on my Centerpoint is crisp, clear, and bright. My friend has had the new version now for about a year and he really likes it.

I mainly used the scope for target shooting and hunting. I always made a dope sheet for hunting so I could either dial in the elevation or hold over using the mil dots.
One down fall of the scope is the reticle is Mil, and the turret adjustments are MOA.25" That doesn't matter to me though I really find the scope meeting my requirements giving that my scope has seen more than 1500 rounds of .308 and 120 rounds of .243 now and it still works fine and holds zero.

thomae
11-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Pruned this thread and moved the giveaway posts to the Free stuff section of the classifieds where they belong.
Back on topic.

seanhagerty
11-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks bro.

Sean

DMaldonado93
11-03-2013, 10:28 AM
well haven't been able to get back on here lately but i ended up buying the 4-16X40 and initially i am impressed it has some weight and the parts seem to have some quality to them but im taking it out shooting today so ill be just as impressed with it in action