PDA

View Full Version : Here Piggy...Piggy...New Mod.11 Hog Hunter

Silvercrow1
10-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Even in these financially uncertain times, I went and got a Hog Hunter in .308 at Cabelas today. I'll be paying on it a while and using the iron sights until I get a scope, but WOW what a great gun. I'm going to be calling a buddy later tonight and wondered if anyone can provide the information I need; dont have time to do a search right now-

What is the thread TPI at the muzzle?
How low will the accutrigger allow you to set pull (I believe the precision or whatever they call it Accutrigger can go to 6 or 9 ounces), but this is the standard Accutrigger?

I want to try to get a brake to screw onto the barrel- not interested in a supressor at this time. THANKS...Brian

big honkin jeep
10-30-2013, 06:33 PM
5/8x24 thread Standard accutrigger Probably going to want to order a crush washer too when you order the brake to index it with.

Silvercrow1
10-30-2013, 09:32 PM
5/8x24 thread Standard accutrigger Probably going to want to order a crush washer too when you order the brake to index it with.

Thank you B.H.J.; I'll look around for brakes with washer. What is the range for the standard Accutrigger? I musta missed it in the manual...and didnt see the specs on the website. BUT I'm at work and cant stay on this computer too long. Brian

big honkin jeep
10-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Think It's 1.5 lbs

wlleven
10-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Think It's 1.5 lbs

My AccuTrigger on my Hog Hunter is 2.75 lbs as it came from the factory ... perfect for a hunting gun !

1.5 lbs is more like the trigger on a bench rest model !

wll

Silvercrow1
10-30-2013, 09:57 PM
My AccuTrigger on my Hog Hunter is 2.75 lbs as it came from the factory ... perfect for a hunting gun !

1.5 lbs is more like the trigger on a bench rest model !

wll

I wish I had a trigger scale. It is set LIGHT, and to my joy, creep-free! I may fool around with it- gonna be taking it out of the stock for a good cleaning anyway. My 110 has the 3 (really 4) screw trigger and it was set wonderfully when I bought it (used). But I like the Accutriggers; my MK II classic has one and now the HH. I'm not a pro and I suppose if I felt a precision trigger I'd probably want one. But as it stands, I'm a real happy camper! Gonna take that puppy out tomorrow and do a barrel break in, use the iron sights. I bought Winchester Silver-Tip (OUCH$) and HSM rounds for it. Had never heard of the HSM, but they use Lake City brass (LC/05) and Seirra bullets. It was around $17.00 a box. Just started reloading and once the monetary dust settles I'll be looking for components.

Sorry for the long rant...just happy! Brian

wlleven
10-30-2013, 10:34 PM
I wish I had a trigger scale. It is set LIGHT, and to my joy, creep-free! I may fool around with it- gonna be taking it out of the stock for a good cleaning anyway. My 110 has the 3 (really 4) screw trigger and it was set wonderfully when I bought it (used). But I like the Accutriggers; my MK II classic has one and now the HH. I'm not a pro and I suppose if I felt a precision trigger I'd probably want one. But as it stands, I'm a real happy camper! Gonna take that puppy out tomorrow and do a barrel break in, use the iron sights. I bought Winchester Silver-Tip (OUCH$) and HSM rounds for it. Had never heard of the HSM, but they use Lake City brass (LC/05) and Seirra bullets. It was around $17.00 a box. Just started reloading and once the monetary dust settles I'll be looking for components.

Sorry for the long rant...just happy! Brian

I think you will be very happy, the Hog Hunter IMHO is a real sleeper in the Savage Line !

wll

Silvercrow1
10-31-2013, 12:24 PM
VERY HAPPY. Did the barrel break-in thing this AM, using iron sights at 50, then 100 yards. I'm gonna do a separate post on that session. WHOO-Friggin'-HOOO! Brian

Swanny297
10-31-2013, 02:18 PM
PWS brake is what I have on mine comes with all the appropriate crush washers for good fit had to adjust a little after I installed but felt recoil is reduced and not that much added noise I just didn't like the look of the thread cap.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/01/ty6ajuvy.jpg

Silvercrow1
10-31-2013, 10:00 PM
PWS brake is what I have on mine comes with all the appropriate crush washers for good fit had to adjust a little after I installed but felt recoil is reduced and not that much added noise I just didn't like the look of the thread cap.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/01/ty6ajuvy.jpg

Hey Swanny- thanks for sharing that! Is the brake coated (Cerracoat or...?) Looks real nice to me. I don't like thethread cap either- and thought briefly about getting a flash suppressor for it. But for a few extra bucks the brake will not only look nice but will be functional too!

In addition to the crush washers, did you use anything like a blue locktite or similar? I guess the washers will keep it in place- but I noted today while shooting my HH the thread cap kept coming loose, even though I tightened it down hard (by hand only). THANKS AGAIN!
Brian

masterblaster
10-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Use rock set, however, if you torque the crush washer it should not come loose.

Swanny297
11-01-2013, 09:19 AM
It looks weird in the picture for some reason but it is actually black steel, with a matte finish. I did not use any lock tite as long as you index it correctly with the crush washers it shouldn't come loose, by this I mean when you install it you want the PWS center line logo at 12 o'clock on your barrel when tight so add crush washers to allow about a 1/4 turn to get it indexed correctly.

Silvercrow1
11-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Thank you Swanny and all! Next Friday is pay day and it looks like Muzzle Brakes and More might have what I need in stock. No real rush- shot 20 rounds yesterday and although there is more felt recoil than my .223 :rolleyes: it is not bad at all. For overall control, pleasure of shooting and getting rid of that thread cap thingy I think I'll like the brake!

Brian