PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Savage BMag Stock

Pages : 1 [2] 3

12-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Update to my previous posts. Savage now has my B Mag back for the second time. This time it took me threatening to contact the CEO of their parent company ATK and get him involved. I doubt that at over 8mil a year he would want too deal with a 300 dollar gun with a faulty stock and I guess they took that seriously. Will post again once I have it back hopefully next week. If they don't get it right this time I guarantee that I will make contact with the CEO of ATK...

t165
12-18-2013, 02:18 AM
I have a few quick questions. I bought a Savage Bmag .17wsm today. The barrel is not fully free floated. About 2/3 the way down the barrel channel there is contact along the bottom of the stock. I took it apart and the stock looks warped with the hump in the middle. I thought the Bmags were suppose to be free floated all the way to the receiver. Then I went to adjust the accu-trigger. When I pulled up on the wheel as the manual instructed the whole **** thing popped out. I got it all pushed back in and it seems to work okay. Felt very cheaply made. I also noticed my hands were very dirty from oil/powder residue. Handling the bolt and trigger assembly made my hands black. Was your Bmags cruddy from the factory? My Bmag looked a rimfire that had 2-3 hundred rounds fired through it. The crud was all inside it. Surely I wasn't sold a already returned and repackaged rifle. I have waited for this rifle for months. Due to snow here in Indiana I haven't shot it yet but this is the worse first impression I have ever had with a Savage product. I own 5 other Savage rifles.

While at the gun store waiting to purchase the Savage Bmag a man walked in and sold a .308 Savage 99 to the owner. The owner gave him $300.00 for the rifle. I offered the owner $400.00 30 seconds after the seller walked out. The owner said yes. That older Savage 99 is such a better crafted rifle than the Bmag
there is no comparsion.

gsperaz
12-18-2013, 09:27 AM
T165 here are some answers for you-
*Yes,Barrel is supposed to be free floating to receiver. If stock is not to badly warped you can sand down the high spots that contact the barrel.
*Both of my Bmags were very dirty and greasy. Cleaning up will be needed. The bore will take some work to remove all the gunk.
I suggest you shoot it as soon as possible to check accuracy. Then decide if you need to return to savage for warranty.

Crockett
12-18-2013, 10:20 AM
I spoke with savage yesterday to find out when my gun would be returned, it was received on the 25th and had not been shipped, but was ready to be. The customer service rep said they replaced some parts (didn't know exactly what) and that it was shooting 3" when received but now is @ 1.25"...what ammo they used he didn't know. I guess i will evaluate it with an open mind when i recieve it and shoot it like i just received a new gun but that will be a test in it self. I sure do hope that boyd's would take pitty on us B mag owners and put out a stock as soon as they can!

gsperaz
12-18-2013, 11:09 AM
I spoke with savage yesterday to find out when my gun would be returned, it was received on the 25th and had not been shipped, but was ready to be. The customer service rep said they replaced some parts (didn't know exactly what) and that it was shooting 3" when received but now is @ 1.25"...what ammo they used he didn't know. I guess i will evaluate it with an open mind when i recieve it and shoot it like i just received a new gun but that will be a test in it self. I sure do hope that boyd's would take pitty on us B mag owners and put out a stock as soon as they can!

My replacement came with a qualification sheet, which said which ammo was used and that it passed the 100yd range test. Unfortunately mine will not reproduce the 1.5" groups at 100yd with any consistency. I wonder if savage gets ammo that is of higher quality, other then the mass produced, off spec stuff that I keep getting.

Crockett
12-18-2013, 02:01 PM
It just showed up, qualification sheet said it passed everything and shot 1.25" @ 100yd with 25gr ammo.

We shall see!!!

gsperaz
12-18-2013, 02:42 PM
It just showed up, qualification sheet said it passed everything and shot 1.25" @ 100yd with 25gr ammo.

We shall see!!!

Good luck ! Lets us know how it shoots.

t165
12-18-2013, 10:12 PM
The other Savage Bmag that came in with mine is the same way. It is only free floated 2/3 the way down the barrel. I don't mind doing a little sanding. And the barrel on the other Bmag is touching on the left side of the stock....mine is a bit off center but I can live with that. My **** shooting range is a slush pit right now. Not sure just where I can take it to sight it in properly and check accuracy.

One more question. I read the owners manual and saw nothing about dry firing a Savage Bmag. Perhaps I missed it. The cone breech does not look very sturdy to me. Does Savage give any guidance on dry firing?

gsperaz
12-18-2013, 10:23 PM
The other Savage Bmag that came in with mine is the same way. It is only free floated 2/3 the way down the barrel. I don't mind doing a little sanding. And the barrel on the other Bmag is touching on the left side of the stock....mine is a bit off center but I can live with that. My **** shooting range is a slush pit right now. Not sure just where I can take it to sight it in properly and check accuracy.

One more question. I read the owners manual and saw nothing about dry firing a Savage Bmag. Perhaps I missed it. The cone breech does not look very sturdy to me. Does Savage give any guidance on dry firing?

If you need to dry fire, I would recommend putting and empty shell case in the chamber. I don't like to dry fire if I can help it.

t165
12-18-2013, 10:40 PM
I get that a lot. I have been dry firing guns for over 30 years (and hundreds of firearms) and I have never broken a firing pin. I do take care not to dry fire older rimfires due to pinging. While I would think it is a good idea to have some sort of buffer I was curious what Savage's instructions were....if the company has even commented on the matter? Oh....a .22 snap cap will not work properly. It fits loose and mine is now missing part of it's rim.

12-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Savage has had my B Mag since 12/13/13 (second time) for the stock to barrel misalignment problem. Nothing from Savage or their Director of Service Paul Smarrelli as to when I might see the gun back and today is 12/21/13. This must be quite the problem with them as I know finding a straight stock cannot be that much of a problem unless all of their current stocks are crooked. More news as this develops. In the meantime if you don't care about how it looks then this gun is a tack driver. If you care just a little bit about how it looks don't buy it just yet Savage has work to be done. :(

claybird
12-22-2013, 01:27 PM
I saw a bmag at a local gunshow and the stock was hitting on the left side of the barrel but I could flex the stock so it cleared. the jerk selling it for$399 said that wouldn't hurt because it was only a rimfire. I told him I was buying one online for $299 shipped to piss him off. dick's has them on sale for $319 and ammo from time to time. HTH

12-23-2013, 07:04 PM
I emailed Paul Smarrelli last evening asking for an update on the correction of the stock problem, here is the reply from Savage Arms.

Hello,
Thank you for contacting Savage Arms. We are closed for the Holidays starting 12/24/2013 and returning 1/6/2013. We will respond to messages when we return in the order in which they were received.
Happy Holidays!
Savage Arms

See this is part of the problem, their quality control is non existent. These folks don't even get their reopening date correct when then send out emails. If I were Paul Samarrelli the Director of Service I'd be directing some folks towards the unemployment line immediately. immediately.

12-24-2013, 01:33 PM
So this is how Savage does business. B Mag returned to them on 12/12/13 and signed for by them on 12/13/13. This was for the stock problem that I have previously posted. Their Director of Service in one of his emails stated, "Please accept my apologies and understand that once we get this rifle back we will ensure it is handled quickly and professionally", he also stated that he had made their President and CEO Al Kasper aware of the situation. So here it is 12/24/13, they have had the weapon 11 days and now Savage is closed until the 6th of next year. I guess it takes a really long time for them to find a straight stock. So much for the handled quickly and professionally aspect of his email and I am not impressed with the alleged involvement of their CEO who also apparently could care less. They say that when a fish rots it begins at the head...

gsperaz
12-24-2013, 07:40 PM
My rifle took a total of 5 weeks to be evaluated, replaced and shipped. Two weeks after Savage received it, I was notified I was getting a new rifle. It took another 3 weeks before I received it. During one of my follow up calls I was told the rifle had been ready for a week but could not ship because the shipping clerk was out sick !
I raised a bit of a stink with a Savage CS rep and requested a manager, she had it over-nited to me.
That was great, but the rifle wasn't much better accuracy wise.

Crockett
12-24-2013, 10:39 PM
So this is how Savage does business. B Mag returned to them on 12/12/13 and signed for by them on 12/13/13. This was for the stock problem that I have previously posted. Their Director of Service in one of his emails stated, "Please accept my apologies and understand that once we get this rifle back we will ensure it is handled quickly and professionally", he also stated that he had made their President and CEO Al Kasper aware of the situation. So here it is 12/24/13, they have had the weapon 11 days and now Savage is closed until the 6th of next year. I guess it takes a really long time for them to find a straight stock. So much for the handled quickly and professionally aspect of his email and I am not impressed with the alleged involvement of their CEO who also apparently could care less. They say that when a fish rots it begins at the head...

I shipped mine back on the 19th of nov. and recieved it back on the 19th of dec. Considering i'm not the only guy on the planet and it was during a pretty hectic time of year, i thought that was pretty reasonable when all i talked to was a girl! ;)

Oregonboy
12-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Here's and idea for Savage to consider. The stock is plastic so remold it and put in a aluminum V block and then send all of us the new one. I understand about cost and all but right now all these problems a going to wreak the whole concept. DO SOMETHING !!! :director:

PS. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL :smile-new:

Crockett
12-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Good luck ! Lets us know how it shoots.

Not much improvement but somewhat better than the first round. I will wait until I get some newer ammo and see if there is any improvement. If I was to bet on what the problem is at this point, I would say it's ammo related.

Crockett
12-30-2013, 03:22 PM
After further testing and consideration, i have been shooting and cleaning mine quite a bit since I got it back from savage(200rounds) and at the rate of improvement mine should be grouping pretty dam good by the time I hit 500 rounds, so I would say this barrel might have to be shot a bit before it performs to most shooters standards. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/sthumb.gif

Crockett
01-06-2014, 06:10 PM
If boyds' doesn't have your number...get it to them because I hear that Thursday there will be great news about a B mag stock.