PDA

View Full Version : How to replace bolt on Savage model 110

andrewhg
10-30-2013, 03:13 AM
Simple question. How hard is it to replace a bolt on a savage model 110 rifle in .270. Are there any special considerations which I need to make. (such as resetting headspace)? It's an older model savage 110, not sure of the exact year. Maybe if you know you could provide info about fitting the newer style bolt to the older style action. My bolt was stolen along with my ammo box the other day.

Edit: the bolt is the one that predates the accutrigger. the bolt on the right of the image in post #4

Maztech89
10-30-2013, 05:35 AM
You will have to at least check headspace and likely reset it.

Sorry to hear somebody felt they needed your stuff more than you did, very few things I hate more than a thief. Hope they get what they deserve.

300mag
10-30-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm looking for a bolt for an 80's vintage 110 in 7mm mag. New bolts are readily available but don't come with the ejector. They also have the round baffle to match the round receivers on newer model guns. You will definitely have to check headspace (and install ejector if you purchase a new bolt assembly).

J.Baker
10-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Simple question. How hard is it to replace a bolt on a savage model 110 rifle in .270. Are there any special considerations which I need to make. (such as resetting headspace)? It's an older model savage 110, not sure of the exact year. Maybe if you know you could provide info about fitting the newer style bolt to the older style action. My bolt was stolen along with my ammo box the other day.

So which type of bolt did your rifle come with - the old style or the newer (current) style? Sounds to me like you had the older style, in which case you're going to have a real hard time finding a replacement unless Numrick's happens to have one (doubtful) as that style was only used for the first 7 years of production (1959-65).

Old style on left, new style on right
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/FAQs/BoltComparison1.jpg

Old style on top, new style on bottom
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/FAQs/BoltComparison2.jpg

To change over to the newer style bolt assembly you'll also have to change out the barrel to a newer style as the old style was machined to accept the snout from the old-style bolt head and thus will leave much of the lower part of the case unsupported.

If your lost bolt was the newer style then you can buy a current production replacement. You will need to reset the barrel headspace to the new bolt due to the accumulated tolerances of all the bolt assembly parts affecting the overall assembly length.

andrewhg
10-30-2013, 07:39 PM
Thanks for your detailed response. I learn more about savages all time. The bolt is the newer style but predating the accutrigger. So it had the flat topped baffle. I understand from what you and others are saying that the newer bolts will fit and the only adjustment neccessary is to reset the headspace.
thanks

rferdinand
12-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Since, your change over to the newer bolt, what else did you have to do because of the bolt? My Savage model 116 30-06 (1994) bolt kept broking (bolt head retaining pin #3), so I bought a new bolt from Midway USA other than replacing ejector, I may just use or see if the old bolt head will work in this bolt.