PDA

View Full Version : what model 11 do I have?

scottxpc
02-21-2010, 11:44 PM
ok guys I'm new here but not to savage rifles I have always preffered them but I have a possibly strange one here I have always been under the impresion savage model numbers with two numbers ( 11,12,16 ) are short actions and three numbers ( 110,116 ect.) are long actions right? well here is what I have savage model 11 22-250 (stamped on barrel) but it is a LONG action as measured by the action screw spaceing 5.062 ??? so do I have some kind of weird rifle or have any of you seen this before? I have had the rifle for about 6 years bought it brand new has factory laminated stock nothing has ever been changed.
thanks scott

BillPa
02-22-2010, 12:00 AM
You may have one of these, a LA machined to accept a short box.
http://i45.tinypic.com/2565s8l.jpg

Two give aways. One, a extended from baffle and two, about an inch or so between the rear action screw and the back of the magazine.

Bill

Blue Avenger
02-22-2010, 12:14 AM
there is a whole section of frequently asked questions with stuff like this. not *****ing, saying your missing out on things!
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,3883.0.html

scottxpc
02-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Bill, that may be it not sure without taking it out of stock but was it common for them to build a 22-250 on a long action? and with a model 11 designation I thought model 11 meant short action. I searched for days trying to find the answer to this and found other threads on here where it was said that all 2 digit model numbers are short actions? true or not?
thanks scott

BillPa
02-22-2010, 01:54 AM
I was helping a guy with one last year in 7-08 , but didn't pay any attention how it was marked, a 1x or 11x.

Does it have a extended front baffle like this? Its kind of hard to see in the first picture, but its the silver spot protruding from the receiver ring right above the the bullet in the upper cartridge.
http://i44.tinypic.com/t9cupj.jpg

A extended baffle was used to shorten the bolt throw for the shorter cartridges. I'm not sure how common they are, I've only ran across three, the one I was working on and two setting in shops.

Bill

pdog06
02-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Savage did make 22-250's(and other SA cartridges) on a long action back before they made an actual short action. If that were the case they all had a 3 digit code(I.E. a model 112 in 22-250). And like Bill said it will also have the extended baffle.

If your barrel says model 11 on it and it is on a long action then it is likely that somebody swapped out the barrel. They definately are not that hard to change. It is possible that it was a 22-250 before and maybe the barrel was shot out or something and replaced.. Just a guess.

scottxpc
02-22-2010, 12:51 PM
I took my action out of stock today I can't tell where this baffle is supposed to be I took a picture but I don't know how to post it can anyone tell me?

Pdog I bought this gun brand new about 6 years ago and it has never had the barrel off it has the original laminated stock and in the barrel channel of stock is stamed dec. 00
scott

scottxpc
02-22-2010, 12:56 PM
it must have been more than 6 years because I bought this gun as soon as it showed up in the shop if it was made in dec 00 I must have bought in 01
scott

pdog06
02-22-2010, 05:53 PM
I took my action out of stock today I can't tell where this baffle is supposed to be I took a picture but I don't know how to post it can anyone tell me?

The baffle Bill is referring to is actually on the bolt itself. Look at the bolthead. The one baffle should have an extended piece that goes down the side of the bolt body an inch or so, like the one on its side in Bills pic. That stops the bolt at the proper location upon ejection. For a long action cartridge you would need a baffle without the extanded piece cause the bolt needs to go back farther due to the longer case.

Savage didnt use the 2 digit number until they started making an actual short action, in which time they started putting all SA calibers in the short actions. I'm not sure of the exact date this started, but maybe yours was made during the transition and just got mixed parts on it. Just a stab because it dont really make sense.

scottxpc
02-22-2010, 06:32 PM
ok yeah my bolt does have the extended baffle I also have a model 16 .223 that has it
scott