PDA

View Full Version : 1/2gr = 1.5" ???

Texas Solo
10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
I experienced something new today. In my first efforts at loading for my new .308, I made up 5 each of 4 different charges using Varget and 168's. My first group was dismal at best, 2.048" with 43.0gr. The next load was 1/2 grain higher at 43.5 and shot .527". Yet another 1/2 grain increase to 44.0 gave me .474". At 44.5 the group opened up to 1.192".

Barrel was fouled with 5 shots while checking scope zero with no wind to speak of. (NO, I didn't blow my shots on the first group, they all felt good off the bipod and rear bag setup from prone position.)

Is it really possible for 1/2 grain to make that much difference? We're talking 1.5" at 100yds.

Wildboarem
10-29-2013, 07:33 PM
If you follow OCW philosophy, your nodes will be 3% apart as will your scatter nodes. If you have a scatter node at 43 then your node should be in the middle of the next scatter mode (44.5). Or multiply your scatter node by 1.5% and you ahold be close to your accuracy node , around 43.6. That's where I would load and do seating depth test at .003 increments and you gtg.

JW
10-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Quote: Is it really possible for 1/2 grain to make that much difference? We're talking 1.5" at 100yds.

I have seen this several times, not uncommon at all to me, I usually expect it when I am working up a load
Jack

eddiesindian
10-29-2013, 09:28 PM
yes it is.
In my expierence using Varget I quickly found out that it doesnt like it too hot.
"for me"..Ive found that Varget gives me excellant and consistant groupings with smaller charge weights.
I prefer 3 tenths of a grains difference,s while working up loads with Varget.

foxx
10-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Your experience is common to me.

missed
10-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Similar results here too, you can hit that barrel harmonics point, or point where bullet stability is not happy. My 22-250 has a shotgun spot too.

CharlieNC
10-30-2013, 07:39 AM
You may find a different bullet and/or powder gives the same behavior, but not nearly as wide a spread as the combo you are using. One of my 308's does not like 168 bullets at all! Now you also see why those shooting factory ammo need to do homework too to find the box brand that works best for them. Simply loading "consistently" is not always adequate.

foxx
10-30-2013, 08:59 AM
You may find a different bullet and/or powder gives the same behavior, but not nearly as wide a spread as the combo you are using. One of my 308's does not like 168 bullets at all! Now you also see why those shooting factory ammo need to do homework too to find the box brand that works best for them. Simply loading "consistently" is not always adequate.

yep.

stomp442
10-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Yeah I've ran into this lots of times as well. I keep a pretty detailed log book of all my load development that I do and more often than not a load that shoots really well is surrounded by loads that didn't shoot well at all. Its all about finding the right barrel harmonics for the bullet and powder that you are using.

eddiesindian
10-30-2013, 01:01 PM
years back.... (16 or so yrs)....I had taken the time to find a load for one of my .224,s with a 68gr Horn. and Varget. After all was said and done, I found myself putting 7rds thru the same hole at 100...I was jumping up and down like a dang fool. Id of sworn I just won the lotto. As time went on curiousity got the better of me. Id read articals of the accuracy of Black Hills ammo so i gave in.......I order the ammo that of which didnt come by cheap. Went out and gave Black Hills a try and boy was I pist of the outcome. It didnt group well AT ALL......Im sure there load shot well in something else but not thru my tube.
I knew better, but curiousity got the better of me. I knew full and well that you cant beat rolling your own, but like a dummy...I just had to give it a go.
I feel sorry for shooters who either cant or wont reload. The cost of so called "match".."Gold"...super triple deluxe etc.. ammo is crazy stupid expensive.