PDA

View Full Version : .223 Hog Hunter conversion to BDM

Autodog
10-28-2013, 11:48 AM
I called Savage today to get a get a floorplate and magazine to replace the blind magazine which I dislike very much. I was told I would have to buy an aftermarket stock first. Why can't I purchase a floorplate and magazine to convert over? I already know I can't use the existing stock. Does anyone know the part numbers so I can just call savage and buy what I need without having to explain what I want? Is there a better place to get factory parts to accomplish what I need? Would I be better off just spending the extra money on a CDI set-up?:confused:

PS I am thinking about a Boyds Classic or Prairie Hunter for a stock

wlleven
10-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Autodog:

I feel your pain.

What I may do instead of buying a new stock and an adapter kit is just buy a MDT LSS stock and be done with it. They are made for magazines in a 5 or 10 configuration. No need to bed or ?, just bolt on.

They are $399.00, so you figure a new stock and adapter kit for your magazine is going to be that. I like the fact that they use AR gips and stocks, so you have lots of choices there.

Just throwing out an idea.

wll

txbdyguard
10-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Call Savage and tell them you want to buy the magazine frame and magazine don't say what stock it's for. If they ask if you have a stock tell them yes. If the mod on the ugly green stock don't work then buy a boyds.

BoilerUP
10-28-2013, 01:31 PM
The part number for a centerfeed short action steel DBM is 106238 ($68 from Savage, IIRC).

The 223 DBM magazine is #55155 ($50 from Savage, IIRC).

Autodog
10-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the replies! Now maybe I can get this sorted out with very little drama.

J.Baker
10-28-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why all you guys keep buying these Hog Hunters just to convert them over to DBM's. Sure would be a lot cheaper, easier and smarter to just start with a DBM model in the first place. After all, most every one I've seen has a scope slapped on it so the open sights aren't needed which is the only thing the Hog Hunter offers that isn't available on another model with a DBM.

Autodog
10-28-2013, 04:54 PM
J. Baker, I will keep my iron sights on the HH and they will also be sighted in at 50 yards along with having a 2-7 Redfield scope. I like the medium weight barrel and I plan on putting on a flash hider. Everyone has ideas on what their rifle should be and how it should be equipped. I will enjoy the fact that I have my rifle set up the way I want it.

BoilerUP
10-28-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why all you guys keep buying these Hog Hunters just to convert them over to DBM's. Sure would be a lot cheaper, easier and smarter to just start with a DBM model in the first place.

http://pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/yeah-well-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif

I'd agree with you if the 10TR was a widely available catalog model...but its not.

Using Bud's Gun Shop pricing, the 11 Hog Hunter is $434; the next comparable model (heavy, non-26" 223/308 barrel with threaded muzzle) with DBM is the 10FP-SR, priced at $631

Given that the factory DBM frame and a magazine runs roughly $120, that still leaves one over $70 to put toward a replacement stock - and many folks want to replace the factory tupperware anyway.