PDA

View Full Version : FFL to buy 10 ML?

Stockrex
10-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Do I need a FFL to buy a 10 ML? I am in Michigan. Thanks,

J.Baker
10-28-2013, 12:23 PM
For an original 10ML - yes. For the 10ML-II - no.

The BATF determined that the original 10ML could to easily be converted to a centerfire rifle and thus deemed that it would be subject to a 4473 form and background check. This is why Savage redesigned it after the first year which resulted in the 10ML-II which does NOT need to have a 4473 form and background check run.

However, there are some gun dealers out there who are just ignorant - even some of the higher volume and more reputable shops. The shop where I bought my 10ML-II back in the fall of 2002 is a prime example. Even though the BAFT doesn't require a background check on the 10ML-II the dealer where I bought mine wouldn't sell it to me without doing it - even after I spent 15 minutes arguing with him about it and explaining why I didn't need to. I ultimately just did the 4473 and background check to get the gun I wanted and get out of there. I really can't blame the dealer - they were just covering their own rears with the BATF based on the prior years model not meeting muzzleloader requirements.

sharpshooter
10-28-2013, 01:05 PM
You might want to check on that , Jim. I do believe that there was a ruling about any muzzle loading firearm that uses a modern centerfire primer for ignition was subject to a 4473.

J.Baker
10-28-2013, 01:50 PM
You might want to check on that , Jim. I do believe that there was a ruling about any muzzle loading firearm that uses a modern centerfire primer for ignition was subject to a 4473.

This is the most recent BATF document I can find on the subject. See Page 2, right column, middle of page. Based on my understanding of this, only those modern inline muzzleloaders (using a #209 primer ignition) which can easily be converted to a centerfire rifle via barrel swap (like those listed) are required to have 4473 paperwork done.

http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-2005-02.pdf

This is off the current BATF website. See the answer to FAQ #1 starting at the bottom of Page 2 and leading into Page 3. Note that the first version of the Savage 10ML is specifically listed here as needing 4473 paperwork.

https://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

If all muzzleloaders using a #209 primer required a 4473 then Bass Pro, Cabela's or anyone else wouldn't be able to sell them online and ship them directly to the customer like they do.

Stockrex
11-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Jim et Fred, Thanks for the info.
I just placed my order for 10 ml II online, the website did not ask for FFL, gulp, hopefully it will come through.

Stockrex
11-12-2013, 08:50 AM
update:
The ML was scheduled for delivery on Thursday, it showed that it was loaded on to the UPS truck at 515 am.
Every time I left home I reminded my mother that she will need to answer the door and sign for the package. Lunch went by, dinner went by nothing. At 645 pm I heard a "thump" near the main door but no bell. I walked over to the door, opened it, found a rather large package and caught the back of a skinny young UPS girl (temp holiday staff) running back to her vehicle.
She did not even ring the door bell when I thought I had to sign for it, wow!

Excitement, I opened the package and found a shiny ML with a box of accessories.

Q: Should there have been some kind of a power measure (by vol) thing as part of the accessories?