PDA

View Full Version : Problems with new 11 Trophy Hunter

Pages : 1 [2]

thermaler
10-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Lol! You must have angered the Gods earlier that day.Have you ever shot PPU 380 acp? It's the only ammo I know of that you have to use dental floss after shooting. : )

Mach2
10-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Espo after reading this thread I think your new rifle is not the problem at all.
Also: I know from recent experience polishing the bolt lug guides on an old Mauser that even the slightest bit of metal dust or just plain dust period, will result in sticky bolt cycling. I was shocked how little dust it took to cause rough bolt cycling. Just wiping off the bolt and bolt rail guides with an oily rag will still leave enough impurities to make the bolt cycling rough. I started spraying out the action and the bolt before I retested the cycling.
In fact, just the usual amount of dirt or dust contamination in the typical rifle carry case will make cycling act sticky.
I'll bet if you try some quality ammo and spraying out your receiver/bolt you will find you've fixed the prob.

Mach2
10-28-2013, 08:11 PM
PS:-keep in mind it's not unusual for machining filings to remain in a gun upon delivery)

He is dead right. In fact, since it's new just the repetitive bolt cycling probably circulated enough micro filings to gum up the cycling. Spray that sucker out and enjoy your finely crafted Savage.

Espo
10-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks guys...wil do. I'll be in front of the t.v cycling it till my arm gets sore lol
Ima head out to ammobros and see what quality ammo they have in stock since the turners near me is bone dry.(except for some surplus and 12ga)
Hopefully with a good amount of practice I can post up some groups like yours...thermaler...

thermaler
10-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys...wil do. I'll be in front of the t.v cycling it till my arm gets sore lol
Ima head out to ammobros and see what quality ammo they have in stock since the turners near me is bone dry.(except for some surplus and 12ga)
Hopefully with a good amount of practice I can post up some groups like yours...thermaler...The good news is--I'm not even a very good shot--have bad eyes and not the best technique. But persistence in hand-loading will get you there--and beyond. : )

DgTerrell
10-30-2013, 11:59 AM
I too have a new Trophy Hunter .308 and had this exact same problem the other day. I was shooting it for the first time the other day and was shooting Remington Core-lokts and Hornady Whitetails. The Core-lokts chambered very smooth, while the Hornadys were noticeably harder to get the bolt to close. I'm glad I found this thread and and confirmed my suspicion that it was just the ammo.